Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please help me find an LCD controller and backlight driver

swechsler

Aug 19, 2020
I'm trying to find a controller and driver board for a Sharp LQ080T5DL01 LCD panel (picture of the back of the panel below). I don't have much information on the panel, since I couldn't find a data sheet; it's an 8 inch panel with LED backlight and 800x480 resolution. It has a 10 pin FFC cable for the backlight and a 50 pin (I assume - that seems to be the standard, and I didn't count contacts) cable for the signal. The controller should have, at the least, an NTSC composite video input.

A little background: this is a panel used for the infotainment display in some Honda vehicles made in the early to mid 2010s. The panel is controlled by the head unit, so if that unit is swapped out, the panel is rendered useless. I have a replacement head unit that I would like to install; it has a composite output, which allows me to display a map or whatever else is running on the main unit.

The existing controller/driver (it's all one board) that came with the car uses the GVIF protocol, and interfaces are expensive, let alone that it would be difficult to get anything to work without the original radio in place. I'm looking for a solution that would use off-the-shelf parts so others can replicate what I do. As far as I can tell, nobody has done this for a Honda display before. I don't have the electronics knowledge to be able to build a circuit myself.

I looked at a bunch of controllers on eBay just to get an idea of what's out there. I did find some with the correct resolution and connector, but none specifically mentioned Sharp panels. And I'm a little confused regarding the signals required - whether it's LVDS or TTL.

pl26615182-8_0_inch_sharp_lq080t5dl01_automotive_lcd_display_screen_for_car_auto_parts_replacement.jpg