Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hello ,and Help - PCB Track Repair

Kural Electric

Jul 7, 2013
Hello how are you? This is my PCB watch board, and circled their is a pad that has halve lift of and what would be a good solution to repair it?
Also it must be Flat on this side ,specially were I circled it.

q9g.png

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
I have successfully repaired a few traces using flattened copper wire. For something like that you could use copper foil or shim of the proper thickness. First cut it out to the desired shape and tin it. Then use some Kapton (polyamide) tape to hold it in place and solder it to the old trace. Use some high temp epoxy to fasten it to the PCB and solder in your component.

Another approach would be to drill through the board in a couple of inconspicuous places (that are free of traces) and use an insulated wire to connect the origin of your signal and the component on the opposite side of the board. It almost looks like you could use the via at the source to solder the wire.

Kural Electric

Jul 7, 2013
I have successfully repaired a few traces using flattened copper wire. For something like that you could use copper foil or shim of the proper thickness. First cut it out to the desired shape and tin it. Then use some Kapton (polyamide) tape to hold it in place and solder it to the old trace. Use some high temp epoxy to fasten it to the PCB and solder in your component.

Another approach would be to drill through the board in a couple of inconspicuous places (that are free of traces) and use an insulated wire to connect the origin of your signal and the component on the opposite side of the board. It almost looks like you could use the via at the source to solder the wire.

thank you very much ,that was all good of you, yes i see what you mean. ill have to think about what to do now next.

Tesla

May 10, 2010
I would fix it like it appears you already tried ... with a piece if wire-wrap wire. Make sure you made proper contact with that lower pad (with ohm-meter).

Also remember, that sometimes hole-thru pads often conduct through to the pad on the other side. Sometimes running the wire through the hole helps.

Kural Electric

Jul 7, 2013
PCB Trace Repair

a7oj.jpg

Broken Trace

kw24.jpg

Tape

0kv0.jpg

v9o2.jpg

Exacto Knife slice tape to fit

i2v4.jpg

rbse.jpg

Put slice tape around the broken trace

wn5a.jpg

Silver Conductive Wire Glue Paste + tiny brush size #00

f6p6.jpg

Handy hands hold PCB and prepare to repair trace

icwh.jpg

Brush Conductive Wire Glue between broken trace

7ubg.jpg

Allow the Paste to dry approx 1 minute

attachment.php

Remove the tape and you have a perfect trace

q40g.jpg

Examine the trace to be sure

zfdr.jpg

ch1t.jpg

Multimeter to test Continuity

Attachments

• foue.jpg
    foue.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited by a moderator:

Tesla

May 10, 2010
Cool pics and tutorial. Seen that stuff but never used it. We always just used the wire-wrap wires (stripped) or thicker wires depending on amps.

So, does the device work now?

Kural Electric

Jul 7, 2013
vbgl.png

Working OK - The paste drys a silver almost white hard enough bond together the trace. You get the exact same power like any other wire/trace. This PCB board is from a 1984 calculator watch ;here is another trace beneath this PCB ,Tidying up everything

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
Drilling a hole in a PCB

I would fix it like it appears you already tried ... with a piece if wire-wrap wire. Make sure you made proper contact with that lower pad (with ohm-meter).

Also remember, that sometimes hole-thru pads often conduct through to the pad on the other side. Sometimes running the wire through the hole helps.

Be careful when drilling through PCB's! Check to see if the board is a multi-layer board before drilling. If the board has 'vias', it proabably is. A via is a small plated through hole in the board that connects the different lands internal to the board. Ed.

elebish

Aug 16, 2013

You might want to scrape off the carbon deposits created by the burn. Carbon traces will conduct because they act like resistors. Your board is obviously only a 2 layer board. Ed.