Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Record from Webcan without Computer

Simply Simon

Jan 31, 2014
Background:

Myself and my father-in-law breed Birds of Prey. During the breeding season they cannot be disturbed but it is worth knowing what is going on so a few years ago I installed a cheap webcam above the nesting ledge to check on breeding progress, number of eggs and to market the birds for sale as proven parent reared. I use a netbook connected to a 3 metre usb extension cable linked to a cheap webcam sealed in an airtight container.

Issue:

My father-in-law cannot use a computer and I want to provide him with a straightforward way of viewing and recording the webcam feed. From a none electronics person this seems straightforward but the more I've researched it the more it seems impossible.

Project:

I've explored:

- Using a 'USB 2.0 2 A Male to mini B 5pin data Power Y-Cable' to power the webcam via a 5V USB Battery Pack = Possible
- Finding a way to convert the usb signal into a av signal to record onto my Angel Eye DVR = Not possible
- Finding a way to butcher a camcorder PCB to do the same = Not possible
- Using a Raspberry Pi to link the webcam usb input to a Yellow Video output to connect to the Angel Eye = Possible but complicated and involves a keyboard and mouse interface and doesn't tackle the father-in-law computer illiteracy issue

Challenge:

Create a device that is
- Mobile (independent battery pack)
- Handheld
- Cheap
- USB input
- Possible av output
- Viewable on small screen
- Recordable to SD card
- Plug and play

Any advice greatfully received.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
your single item under your challenge heading should be

teach you F-I-L to use a puter ....

if my 84 yo mom can use a puter, any one can :)

otherwise it appears as tho you havent looked for an analog answer to your problem
investigate some wireless security cameras that send the signal back to the appropriate receiver and monitor

cheers
Dave

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes I agree Dave. What about a tablet easier that computer.

sndscientist

Jul 10, 2013
now i am not one to turn someone away from doing a cool project but i guess i have calmed down in my old age (32). i know the challenge is the fun part but short of destroying the camera and finding the video encoder ic, buying a matched pair of rf module(s) and finding an rf decoder that can transfer your digital signal into a clean video signal and building it into a box. me personally, as dave stated, would rather spend $26 on ebay and buy a pre-made pre-fab one

Check this

Simply Simon

Jan 31, 2014
now i am not one to turn someone away from doing a cool project but i guess i have calmed down in my old age (32). i know the challenge is the fun part but short of destroying the camera and finding the video encoder ic, buying a matched pair of rf module(s) and finding an rf decoder that can transfer your digital signal into a clean video signal and building it into a box. me personally, as dave stated, would rather spend $26 on ebay and buy a pre-made pre-fab one

Check this

Thanks for this. Nice little piece of kit. However the advantage of the webcam is that it circumvents the power issue. The breeding pens are a good distance from the house making running power up there awkward. With the webcam it happily sits there inactive until plugged in.

I'm looking into whether someone would be able to write an STM32 code for the above item to run automatically upon switch on and simply view and record the video feed.