Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Radiogram record player very faint sound

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
ASSUREDLY . . . .you ended up with their connections reversed, if touching the cartridge with finger / flesh results in amplified HUMMMMMM.

ZJS

Sep 2, 2023
ASSUREDLY . . . .you ended up with their connections reversed, if touching the cartridge with finger / flesh results in amplified HUMMMMMM.

These three

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 5

ZJS

Sep 2, 2023

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8697.jpeg
    IMG_8697.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 4

ZJS

Sep 2, 2023
Hi

So I soldered the two wires the other way round and it did the exact same thing. Faint on max volume.
Both the wires went into the same bit of metal so I don’t think it mattered if they were the wrong way round.

My plan now is to fit a different record player in there (keeping with the style of course maybe the Garrad SP25) and wire it to the mains board. I will fit a small amplifier somewhere on the deck and wire that to the mains as well. From the amplifier I will go straight to the speaker inside the radiogram by wiring it up the the speaker wires.

The reason for doing this is because the 33rpm stylus is broken and there is no chance it can be replaced because you can’t get replacements. As well as the no sound issue which probably is the record player as the amplifier is fine because the radio is working perfectly. The record player sound wire plugs straight into where the radio is so that means that the fault is somewhere in the record player.
After doing this the new record player will be more reliable.

Zach

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
I see several larger shielded wires thru the supplied photos but what I was looking for was a very fine gauge pair that would be run from the base of your turntable and up an thru the tone arm to terminate at the two plug in connections that are associated with you changing cartridge heads.
Since the tone arm pivots, thus the need for skinny gauge, non restrictive wiring.
The best candidates would be your post 22's picture, and if that is a twisted red and yellow pair ***, that would be them. With one being a ground wire and the other a "hot" audio wire that carries the cartridges signal back to the main audio amp portion of the radio.
*** If that is not being a single yellow wire with a red spiral trace marking around it. . . . I can't make that out for sure.
Moving to a turntable swap moots out all of this troubleshooting necessity. I used to always upgrade family and friends 40-50's units with new Voice of Music 4 speed automatic units. Cost was $33 then.

ZJS

Sep 2, 2023
Hi

I am going to try and find a replacement record player which goes with the style of the unit (but also one that’s not too steep in price). You said that you used a voice of music automatic turntable so I have had a look but all I can find is ones from America and the postage costs more than the actual turntable it’s self.

I think that the Garrad SP25 would be perfect because I have seen a few radiograms with one of them as the record deck.

Do you have any ideas which turntable will be the best?