Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Radiogram, no sound

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Do not disconnect leads leading to the speaker.
If you disconnect the secondary of the output transformer, then very high voltages can be produced which may break down the insulation either in the valve base, in the output transformer or any tone corection capacitor.
If you disconnect the primary of the output transformer, then then the whole of the valve current goes into G3, the screen grid. This will certainly put too much power into it and may melt or distort it.

rematzz

Sep 23, 2015
my friend has surgested for me to bypass the amp and install a modern amp as he believes it would cost more than it is worth to fix it. also he said that would be best for me as i have limited knowledge of this.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir rematz . . . . . . . . .

O.K. . . . . .then .

Lets do a swing in technique, in the respect of the present manner of troubleshooting your radios existing audio amplifier, and explore the possibility of amplifying the audio output from the detector section(s) of the receiver at the EABC80.

To do so . . . . . "for free" . . . . . in among your possessions at the house, are you using, or do you happen to have an amplified computer speaker pair ?

9402283_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=146;canvasWidth=105

(Of which, one unit is containing the main amplifier (the RIGHT one above) and its one speaker, while the OTHER unit merely contains a speaker, fed from the first unit.)

If you have such, along with a spare RCA patch cord, we can test for the presence of audio at its point of origin at the EABC80.
(Hoping that all of the RF circuitry up that stage, is working "in a manner", particularly expecting that the sets AM section is.

73's de Edd

rematzz

Sep 23, 2015
hi edd i don't have any speakers like that, but i do have a guitar amp. would that be fine to use and how do i test it through EABC80