Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PC Audio Wiring Assitance Help.

Noreaster

Aug 11, 2016
I have some good wire strippers for heavier gauge wires, designed mostly for electricians. Can you guys recommend a good pair for these smaller gauge applications?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
do they actually sell these "Key" fillers, or blanks? What would they be called?
They are called "keying plugs" and come in all sorts of varieties, depending on the connector. Most common for dual inline PCB connectors is a little plastic plug that slips into a female socket position, rendering that position unusable, but also making it impossible to insert the connector backwards. There are many types available through distributors like Digi-Key. All you need to know is what connector they are made to fit.:( You can get the same effect by shoving a square wire-wrap pin (of appropriate size) in in a socket position and cutting it off flush with the end of the dual inline connector. Lots of luck getting it back out if you insert into the wrong position. The plastic plugs usually have a small head you can get a grip on to remove the plug.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Can you guys recommend a good pair for these smaller gauge applications?
I like these, as made by Ideal (and others), because they close down to a precision-diameter circular hole, cutting through the insulation without nicking the wire. They come in two varieties, one for stranded conductors and one for solid conductors. Make sure you get the variety appropriate for your wire! Unfortunately, they can sometimes be hard to find in the 20 to 30 gauge versions. I have three different sizes, one of which goes up to 4 gauge solid wire. Most of the "adjustable" "V-blade" hand strippers aren't worth a hoot IMHO, except for one that is specifically designed to first grip, and then strip, Teflon-insulated wire. Those tend to be a little pricey.

08696-03.jpg

Noreaster

Aug 11, 2016
Yes, just checked mine. A Thomas & Betts and an Irwin, that both go down to 18 gauge solid or 22/20 strand. Excellent another opportunity to by myself a new toy, er tool. Now, I have documented proof, that I need to acquire a new tool. As my wife, does the books, I would ordinarily have to skip lunch for a few days, to build up enough credit to make a purchase. Lol, I'm just kidding of course, two days, should suffice.

As always, guidance and advice is always welcome and most appreciated.