Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switching Audio Jack & Power Jack Wiring

scampa

Nov 28, 2011
Can someone help me understand the schematic in this datasheet http://products.cui.com/getPDF.aspx?fileID=1761

It's for a barrel jack that has a switch in it. I'm trying to understand how it would wire up.

I am trying to do the same thing with two different connectors: audio jack and power jack...

I'd basically like it to "switch" based on if something is plugged in...

So for audio: switch from sound out from speakers to sound via headphone jack....(headphone jack with a switch)

for Power: switch from charging the battery (when plug plugged into jack), to powering device (no jack plugged in)...(power jack with switch).....

Am I approaching this right??? Thanks!!

Last edited:

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi scampa Welcome to the forum.
In both power and audio its possible, but your jack sockets must be the switchable configuration, so when a jack is plugged in you can wire it for connect or disconnect depending on the application, oh your link dont work for me. :)

scampa

Nov 28, 2011
Hi scampa Welcome to the forum.
In both power and audio its possible, but your jack sockets must be the switchable configuration, so when a jack is plugged in you can wire it for connect or disconnect depending on the application, oh your link dont work for me. :)

Thanks Dave...I thought I was on the right track!!...

So I've put a correct url out there for one item...The schematic in the datasheet seems pretty simple, yet I cannot read it...I cannot find the symbols to really understand what it is trying to tell me.....Can you help me interpret?

I'm basically trying to figure out how these things get wired...In my mind I'd think there would be just three leads (say 2 leads that are positive and the third going to negative..so the switch connects the negative to either circuit to make it work)...I'm obviously wrong since these things have 4 or more leads!!

Also, in the case of the barrel jack for power, maybe it makes better sense to be a standard jack anyway (no switch), in which case I'd expect it to power the device and charge the battery at the same time. I'm using a LiIon battery and a smart charger, so it has overcharge protection....

thanks again!!

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
I cant turn my head sideways all through that sheet, any way to work out the switching orientation i would use a multi meters continuity tester and a jack, insert the jack, test for continuity there or not, IE switched on or of for which solder tags, voltage is ground usually the outer shell of the socket, but there can and on some sockets a second tag the same, but voltage is use + volts and - volts either way round, if its a circuit your building. That parts up to you in other words center + volts or - volts, your choice but the standard is almost always center for volts +

If its wiring a bit of kit observe the polarity, audio is left and right channel, plus ground, i find the easiest way is using a meter to check polarity of the socket and jack, its not failed me yet. :)

PS, For power try using DC plugs and sockets , as jacks and sockets could cause momentary shorts on connect / disconnect

Last edited:

scampa

Nov 28, 2011
I cant turn my head sideways all through that sheet, any way to work out the switching orientation i would use a multi meters continuity tester and a jack, insert the jack, test for continuity there or not, IE switched on or of for which solder tags, voltage is ground usually the outer shell of the socket, but there can and on some sockets a second tag the same, but voltage is use + volts and - volts either way round, if its a circuit your building. That parts up to you in other words center + volts or - volts, your choice but the standard is almost always center for volts +

If its wiring a bit of kit observe the polarity, audio is left and right channel, plus ground, i find the easiest way is using a meter to check polarity of the socket and jack, its not failed me yet. :)

PS, For power try using DC plugs and sockets , as jacks and sockets could cause momentary shorts on connect / disconnect

Thanks Dave! I was actually trying to avoid buying the wrong thing, which is why I was trying to understand the schematic. If I can read one, I'll be able to read the others by that company....

What did you mean by DC plugs? That is what I thought I was talking about...The DC plug and barrel connector paired together....Did I describe it wrong?

scampa

Nov 28, 2011
2 mini schematics

I've cut out the schematics for folks to see what I mean...I could use help interpreting what it is saying....

See attached...

Thanks again!

Attachments

• schem-1.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 681
  • schem-2.pdf
    65.4 KB · Views: 569

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
As I see it

scheme-1
With no plug inserted, 2 is connected to 3.
With plug inserted, 1 is connected to the sleeve, tip is connected to 2, 3 is disconnected.

scheme-2
With no plug inserted, 3 is connected to 4, 1 and 2 not connected.
With plug inserted, 3 is disconnected.
2 and 4 connected to sleeve, centre conductor connected to 1.