Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Not sure what sensor to use

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
3 loops with different resonances, set up all at right angles, might be excited by a pulse. At least 3 detectors are needed I suppose.
As for processing the information I believe the modern solution would be AI, which for me takes the fun out of everything.

johnalbert

Mar 14, 2024
When uncertain about which sensor to use, it's essential to first identify the specific parameters you need to measure or monitor, as well as the environmental conditions the sensor will encounter. Once these factors are determined, research various sensor types suitable for your application and consult with experts if needed to select the most appropriate sensor for your requirements.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
3 loops with different resonances, set up all at right angles, might be excited by a pulse. At least 3 detectors are needed I suppose.
As for processing the information I believe the modern solution would be AI, which for me takes the fun out of everything.
I like this concept, but you would still need three itsy bitsy teeny weeny accelerometers to measure the orientation of the twelve-sided die. So, add a CPU and a Bluetooth transceiver and, voila! You now have an expensive RPG die with no need for three tuned "antenna" circuits.

I have been using Grok on X (formerly Twitter) quite a bit lately and find it is NOT a reliable source of information. Grok often gets things wrong, but it probably excels as a "search engine" if you ask it the "right" questions. Is this fun? Or is it just funny? I would NEVER trust a machine to make life-threatening decisions, like driving an automobile through rush-hour traffic. That opinion might change in the future, depending on AI's track record.

mineymoe

Nov 14, 2023
For determining rotation in 3 axes but in a small space, I'd recommend looking into gyroscope sensors. The MPU-6050 gyro/accelerometer module is quite popular and small enough to fit inside a d20 die I imagine. It can detect pitch, roll and yaw to know the orientation. May need to do some coding to interpret the sensor values but there are lots of guides online.

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
Hmmmm and :) :)
Actually only 2 angles need be measured, in order to completely determine a direction in 3-space, as any astronomer knows. However I can't see how to translate that into simpler engineering just yet...

Last edited: