Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Temperature Sensor for a pressure cooker.

tomadom

Jan 18, 2013
I want to replace a temperature sensor for a 240v max 1100w pressure cooker / slow cooker but I'm confused about which one to get
I have found sensors but they ask for a specific temperature specification and whether the sensor is Normally Open or Normally Closed.

Can anyone advise which specs and type to get?

Thanks

Attachments

• compressjpeg.zip
    982.9 KB · Views: 8

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Given the type of equipment and potential for catastrophe I suggest you seek the manufacturers recommended replacement at whatever cost that may incur.

tomadom

Jan 18, 2013
It doesn't matter. If I can't fix it it'll end up in the bin.

tomadom

Jan 18, 2013
When I test the sensor with a continuity tester, it shows full continuity. So I assume this means Normally Closed going off the explanation I've seen on the web. Could it be stuck in this position?

"NC: When there is not a sensing object within sensing range, transistor output is ON."

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The heating element will probably be wired in series with that temperature sensor (normally closed contact) such that an event exceeding the temperature of the sensor will break the power to it. It's likely fitted as a preventative measure against boiling the pan dry.
The cooker temperature will otherwise be dependent on the weighted valve determining the internal pressure (water boiling at a lower temperature when under pressure).
The only reasonable way you'd ever see the sensor go open circuit is if you put the pan on with no water in it.

tomadom

Jan 18, 2013
The heating element will probably be wired in series with that temperature sensor (normally closed contact) such that an event exceeding the temperature of the sensor will break the power to it. It's likely fitted as a preventative measure against boiling the pan dry.
The cooker temperature will otherwise be dependent on the weighted valve determining the internal pressure (water boiling at a lower temperature when under pressure).
The only reasonable way you'd ever see the sensor go open circuit is if you put the pan on with no water in it.
That's probably what has happened. This was given to me broken.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Many considerations in sensors... people need to make up their mind... combo systems like pressure cooker/slow cooker are ignanimous to variable forces in the universe. Assuming the sensor is not part of the molding process, where it's imbedded in aluminum or pucky, any good guage, meter, or switch, should atleast give you some kind of control... but what you are looking at is the controller of the system. Its kind of "embedded" hardware for your software!!

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
The idea of a sensor is that it detects when conditions are right... I refer to this as an ideal circuit. when the chips all come down (like in a pressurecooker/slowcooker combo device) the thing is given a half life or a point of failure, rather than a conditional controlling responsibility. That means that accidents do happen, and the manufacturer is sorry that your device is now useless unless replaced. Hey any trained ape can swapout sensors, its a real genius who finds a way to sucker you in to buying a universal remote!!!

Marcella321

Sep 7, 2022
I need to replace a temperature sensor for a 240v max 1100w pressure cooker/slow cooker, but I'm not sure which one to purchase.
I've discovered sensors, however they require a temperature specification and whether the sensor is normally open or normally closed.