Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Not sure what sensor to use

Rockiter24

Nov 17, 2023
I need a sensor that know it's current rotation in all 3 axis and can be small enough to fit in a d20 (19mm) dice as I'm trying to create a dice that can tell what face is currently up

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Have a look at accelerometers (link). They can be used as position sensors using the ubiquitous acceleration from earth's mass, commonly called gravity.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Tall order...sensor ic maybe but associated uC as well as other interfaces, power supply etc., I doubt it.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Going to have to be a large(ish) dice if you want to get the part in and not have a cable leading from it.

Rockiter24

Nov 17, 2023
If you ever hear of GoDice they pulled it off with a six sided dice and then there is Anverdi mental dice which are gimmick that does the same thing only on a six sided dice though I'm just not sure what sensor they used in such a tiny die though the accelerometer seem promising that Harald Kapp posted

Rockiter24

Nov 17, 2023
Craps!
"Baby needs a new pair of shoes"
I'm not trying to make weighted die or die with the same number on all faces I need a die that tell me what face it on while not even looking at it There is already a 6 sided die like it called GoDice I am trying to make a d20 version of it.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
You said.
"There is already a 6 sided die like it called GoDice I am trying to make a d20 version of it."

So... Baby's going barefoot?

1700255404047.png
What do you think is inside of it? Smarty pants...
1700255548443.png
If you don't know that.
You're not making anything. Poor baby.

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
There is already a 6 sided die like it called GoDice I am trying to make a d20 version of it.
Once again...tall order.
You obviously have no idea of things like, miniaturisation of ic's, cost to develop and build a prototype, put manufacturing processes into action.
Just to get the first one.....
Dream on.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Okay baby gets handed down shoes; they're way bigger but you will grow into them.
Do you like movies?
EatingPopcorn.gif

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Hehehehe,,,yes........ OP was after 19mm.....video looks more like around the 75mm mark.
It's that almost 4:1 reduction that is the problem ( errrr...should say, reality)

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Okay I'm the baby.
How to make an e-polyhedral die

Attachments

• FULLTEXT01.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Rockiter24

Nov 17, 2023
You said.
"There is already a 6 sided die like it called GoDice I am trying to make a d20 version of it."

So... Baby's going barefoot?

View attachment 61637
What do you think is inside of it? Smarty pants...
View attachment 61638
If you don't know that.
You're not making anything. Poor baby.
Yes godice makes a 12sided die and all other sided die for dnd but they use a case that holds the six sided die and I don't want that

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Yes godice makes a 12sided die and all other sided die for dnd but they use a case that holds the six sided die and I don't want that
Yeah, I know that buddy... I'm just keeping my stupid mouth shut if I don't have a solution.
Never stop learning...

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
The kindest thing is being honest.
"Impetusisom of youth."
I am not so pretentious as to speak for other members.
But I'm learning...
photo_1700480305876.png

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
You could embed 3 miniature microphones in a die, and send the sounds from them by radio to an AI. With training the AI will be able to provide the final orientation of the die.
I guess that makes it easy?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Just now discovered this thread... interesting that what the OP requests is already available on the open market... just not in the form that was requested. I guess I sort of agree with @Harald Kapp (and @kellys_eye and @Martaine2005) about @Delta Prime's presentation persona here on Maker Pro. When he (if a "he" he is and not a "her" or an "AI") first started posting here, my first impressions were not good. But I have seen much improvement in the public presentation of Delta Prime. I think this will continue, but folks here should realize that we have a young genius in our midst. And most genius that I know, or have known, have a very low tolerance for stupidity. Which is not to say that such genius should call people out on their stupidity, or use such speech constructs as to imply stupidity. I learned a long time ago that stupid is curable with education, but dumb hangs around forever. My solution has always been to avoid the dumb (the unteachable) and seek out to learn from the genius among us. It is what attracted me to ElectronicsPoint initially... well, maybe, or maybe not. I do remember the conversations having more substance and a healthy back-and-forth dialog back then, compared to what I mostly find here today.

I am amazed at the Z-Generation's whole-hearted embrace of electronic gaming. Not too amazed, mind you, since I was addicted to playing Computer Space in the 1970s at the Dayton Mall kiosk, when it first hosted the twenty-five-cents-to-play video game. This awful addiction required an entire roll of quarters to satisfy each time I visited the mall and led to the purchase of an Atari video game... for my children of course. Just like Dad purchased that Lionel electric train set as a Christmas present for me and my brother sometime in the late 1940s. Dad did keep adding rolling stock and engines as the years passed by, just as I bought every game cartridge that Atari sold back then. At one time I even thought about making my own game cartridges, but before the thought could evolve into hardware along came the personal computer. Out with the Atari. In with the Commodore. And, later, the clone "IBM compatible" PC.

Please excuse me if I don't get excited about yet another "electronic dice" project. IIRC, in the 1960s someone published several circuits based on NE51 neon lamps wired up as "ring counters" that ran faster than the eye could see (thus appearing to be continuously illuminated) as long as you held the "roll the dice" button down. Release the button and just one of the NE51 lamps remained lit, indicating whatever you wanted it to indicate... numbers, letters, words... whatever. Today we would use a PC and a pseudo-random number generator. Maybe dress it up with fancy video graphics showing one or more dice rolling and finally settling on a specific (pseudo-random) value. Online "one-armed bandits" gambling games do this, and there are probably other online "gambling" apps that simulate other "games of chance" such as baccarat, roulette, craps, etc.

It is definitely in the realm of possibility to make a d20 die, of appropriate size for a board game, that can be remotely "read-out." But, as @Bluejets said in his post #11, it requires miniaturization techniques and the ones required are waaaay beyond the capabilities of this hobby forum. The sensors (accelerometers), the computation hardware (CPU), and communications (Bluetooth) already exist. This is intellectual property that just about any semi-conductor fabrication facility can manufacture at just about any feature size currently available... nanometer features are possible. Prepare to spend a lot of money to get there.