Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New to pic programming

Warrior13

Jan 23, 2011
Hello.
I am interested in pic programming but I'm a total newbie at this section. I've seen that there are different chips and I'm totally confused.. Can someone give me something like a total introduction and start with simple projects so that i can upgrade myself.. I'm totally lost. Also, which programming language is used?
Thanks a lot. Cheers

jericko

Jan 23, 2011
Im also new to the realm of pics, well sort of. iv played with them a bit in the past and just broke my easypic4 programar i bought years ago while in school. anyway, there are a lo of different chips out there yes, some have more memory than others, some more inputs/outputs (depending on chip size,leads) also different operating ranges, voltages,the list can go on and on.. anyway as far as programming goes there are a few, including C, Basic, Piscal (i hope i spelt that right) i use Basic personaly still trying to figure out which is best to use though, seems to me C is a shorter coding though. you can buy books on C,Basic,Piscal on the internet, books-a-million, barns and noble, among others.

hope this helps.

jericko

Jan 23, 2011
oh also if your looking for a good programmer i would consider looking at mikroElektronika thats what i use.

walkDMC

Feb 2, 2011
Hey, the total introduction you are looking for exists, it's a book. I'm also new to PIC programming but currently working my way through "PIC in Practice: A Project-Based Approach" by D W Smith, which is a great step-by-step explanation with lots of examples (the only thing that I wasn't able to find in it so far is multiplexing). If you're serious about learning this, that book is completely worth the money. Also if you can't find this particular one there must be tons of similar books out there. Good luck!

SNEHAL

Nov 10, 2010
u can go for pic18xx. well explained in the book.PIC Microcontroller and Embedded Systems by M. Mazidi, R. Mckinlay, D. Causey, .

Anish

Feb 5, 2011
Hi, there...
As far as microcontrollers are concerned, choose microchip PIC (Peripheral Interface Controller) series.Because Intel and motorola controllers are some what complex to program and understand.
First go and buy the PIC kit2 programmer.. it will cost you around some $60..and comes bundled with microchip programming software.
First controller to start with is PIC16F84 the basic controller..and also PIC16F877.
Comming to programming, you can program in any language you know..(I mean computer language...LOL).. All you need is the compiled hex file of the program to be written.. So choose the language of your choice.. I would personally prefer c,c++ or JAVA.
Happy programming.

Warrior13

Jan 23, 2011
Thank you all and sorry for the late reply.. I've been very busy and couldn't get access. Anyway, I got the suggested books. About the programming language I have basic experience in C++ and got mikroC program. That should work as suggested. I am learning everyday and trying my best. Thank you all for the very appreciated help.
Cheers.