Connect with us

Interpreting a transformer diagram

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Moschops, Apr 4, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Moschops

Moschops

Apr 4, 2010
    Mispost to get to posting images!

2. Moschops

Moschops

Apr 4, 2010
    Not one of these - [​IMG]

But this: [​IMG]

Not a great image, I know. That's photocopies of photocopies for you. I'm unfamiliar with anything but the simplest of transformers and I'd like to check that I'm interpreting this correctly. To me, it appears to be a transformer plugging into a 220VAC/50Hz wall socket (i.e. UK mains) and presenting eight output terminals.

The bottom two terminals are simple enough - they must have a potential difference of 190V AC (presumably rms) when an rms current of 5.5 mA is drawn from them. I'll drop saying rms from here, but I mean rms in every case.

The others I'm not so sure of - 6 and 7 must be able to provide 0.650A of current at 10.25V AC, but so must 7 and 8. Why are there two options (i.e. 6 & 7, or 7 & 8) for the same voltage, able to source the same current? Is the idea that I could also connect to 6 and 8, and in doing so draw current at 20.5 V AC? If so, how much current does the diagram dictate those terminals must be able to source?

Terminals 3, 4, 5 are the same again with different values. Any explanation anyone can provide would be gratefully received.

3. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    afaik, one of 3 & 4 and one of 6 & 8 must be negative voltage. 4 & 7 will be common ground? zero volts.

4. Moschops

Moschops

Apr 4, 2010
    Firstly, do you mean "one of 3 & 5"?

Negative compared to what? Do you mean that terminal 8 must be negative whatever terminal 6 is, such that when terminal 6 is at +10V terminal 8 will be at -10V, both measured relative to terminal 7? I ask for clarification as the simple concept of negative and positive gets a bit more interesting with AC.

5. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    jacko is presumably thinking about instantaneous voltages, and this is actually a correct way of presenting the issue. When 6 is positive then 8 is negative.

Between 6 & 8 you get 20.5V @ 0.65A - with a centertap 7 (which is usually grounded).
    The reason behind using centertapped windings is that you get away with only two diodes to get a full wave rectifier, which also translates to better efficiency.
    A full wave bridge rectifier and two capacitors will furthermore give you a +/- supply (dual voltage) which is often what is used in amplifiers.

6. Moschops

Moschops

Apr 4, 2010
    Okey dokey, that's all very helpful.

To recap, then, 4 and 7 are probably some kind of common ground, and in either case are a reference voltage we can call ground or zero for measuring the voltages at the pins adjacent to them.

At any given time t, using pin 4/7 as a zero reference voltage, V3 = - V5 and V6 = -V8

Furthermore, measuring the voltage (for a time period, obviously, rather than at an instant) across pins 3&5 (not the ground) will reveal an AC voltage of whatever that badly printed value is, and will remain that voltage with a current draw of 0.3A.

Measuring the voltage across pins 6&8 (not the ground) will reveal an AC voltage of 20.5 volts, and will remain that voltage with a current draw of 0.65A

7. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes, that's all correct. (Pin 3 to 5 will give you 2x18V=36V since they are series-connected/wound and therefore 180 degrees out of phase with each other.)
    Likewise, for example, if you have a transformer with one 6V winding and one 18V winding, you can get either 12V or 24V depending on the way you series-connect them.

Ask a Question