Connect with us

Could you help on interpreting part of a circuit?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by TGV, May 9, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. TGV

TGV

May 9, 2013
    Hi,

I'm studying the attached (part of a) circuit diagram. I interpret it as four cascaded filters, but I can't really get what it does. It is seated between a DAC and the output of a synthesizer and is followed by a few more resistors and a volume control. I did study electronics a bit, but that was decades ago and mostly theoretical.

My first, rather dumb, question is: what is the unit of the capacitors? I'm interpreting 100P as 100 picoFarad, but 0.068, is that 68 milliFarad? That seems awfully large to me. My second dumb question is: what is BP 1/50 on the right? I've never encountered such a symbol before.

The difficult question is: is this indeed just a sequence of four (three active, one passive) filters? It seems odd, because –when I try to simulate it using QUCS– I just get an amplification for the first one, and a drop-off of 10dB per octave for the last three, which seems way too much. So I think I'm not interpreting things properly.

Can anyone shed some light on the function of this circuit and its components? Thanks for the help.

Theo

BTW, IC56 is a TL072, the two IC54s are halves of a NJM4558DV.

Attached Files:

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Those are Sallen Key active filters and should drop off at 12db / octave each.

The capacitors without the p are in uF. 0.068 uF = 68nF or 68000pF

Bob

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    The 1/50 could be a 1uF 50V capacitor but the blury symbol looks more like a diac which is not likely.

BP = BiPolar???

4. alfa88

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
    1uF, 50V Non polarized electrolytic perhaps?

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Yes exactly

BP = Bi Polar ( non polarised) electrolytic

Dave

6. TGV

TGV

May 9, 2013
    Thanks for the answers, guys. So the first stage is just an amplifier, and then it's basically a rather steep low-pass filter.

Thanks again!

Ask a Question