Maker Pro
Maker Pro

IGBT Help?

scheda

Mar 16, 2010
Hey all,

I'm looking for some information about IGBT's.

What I'd ideally like to do is set up something low voltage like an Arduino to the base (gate) lead on the component so I can tell it when to let voltage through.

I'll be pushing about 24V through... not exactly sure of the amperage.

Any ideas here would be helpful...

Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Perhaps you need to tell us what you want to do.

IGBTs need gate drive similar to a MOSFET, i.e. a fairly large swing (10 to 15 volts) and for high current applications, at a significant current (say, 1A) to overcome the various capacitances and achieve fast switching.

For low currents, BTJ transistors have simpler drive requirements while MOSFETs have lower voltage drop.

As currents get higher, the lower voltage drop of MOSFETs becomes a significant advantage.

As currents get even higher, IGBTs, with their often high voltage ratings and BJT like saturation voltage tend to beat MOSFETs with their resistive (albeit low value) nature means they dissipate too much power.

So it all depends on the current.

It may be best if you can get a figure (even a ballpark one) for that.

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
I have NEVER seen an application where an IGBT can even come close to a MOSFET at 24V or even 100V. IGBTs start to make sense at several hundred volts.

As Steve pointed out, for low currents, a simple BJT or a small signal MOSFET make sense. For higher currents and and voltage below a few hundred volts, power MOSFETs are ideal. For higher voltages AND high currents IGBTs start to make sense.

For any design, you need to know the voltage, the current and the drive frequency. It makes a huge difference in the driver if you will be switching once a second versus if you will be switching at 1MHz.

One down (24V) two to go.

---55p

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
55p is correct, at 24V, MOSFETs beat IGBT.

This makes very good reading.

Note the graph of voltage vs frequency. This information comes from a manufacturer of these devices, so it's probably pretty reliable :)

If you're really interested, this, this, and this will probably keep you busy.