Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help with igbt triggering usin microcontroller or microprocessor

overLord

Sep 9, 2011
hi.. 'm workin on a vfd ( variable frequency drive) for motors.. i need help wit picking the best suited m.c / m.p for this.. better if its an open source.. the igbt has to triggered between 10 - 1000 times a sec.. plz suggest.. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What issues are you having?

I wouldn't think the uC/uP makes any real difference.

I'd be considering optocoupling the output to the driver for the IGBT, and then using an appropriate driver to get the required gate current.

overLord

Sep 9, 2011
i need a uc/up because i need to provide a heads up display of frequency n speed etc. n i also have to interface a key pad to vary the freq.
i understand that optocoupler can be used to drive an igbt. n tat it also prevents rapid voltage changes.. but how can i use it for this app, this is my first time in this area so plz don mind if i end up talkin rubbish.. :D

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, the first thing is that you should probably use a proper gate driver for the IGBT. It may be overkill in your application but it helps prevent switching losses. Switching losses can be a large contributor to the total dissipation of the device and may be unexpected.

Get the datasheet for a gate driver (I believe that mosfet and IGBT drivers are practically identical) and see if it tells you how to interface an opto-coupler to it.

Driving the optocoupler is essentially as simple as driving a LED. Choose a series resistor as you would for a LED connected to one of the outputs of the uC.

When I said the uC/Up doesn't mak any real difference, what I was saying is that there is no need for a special uP or uC. Pretty much anything will be able to be used.