Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to switch something as soon as power is applied

AndyT4

Nov 9, 2015
Hi,

Please can someone tell me if there is a simple solution to this problem?

I work in a car dealership (non-technical staff).

All of our new models have the stop/start technology so that they stop when people are stationary in traffic, at junctions, etc.

Many of our older customers are confused by this technology and would dearly love to switch it off.

Unfortunately, due to the requirement to comply with emmissions standards, it is not possible to switch this functionality off permanently. You have to press the button (it is an actual button, not a stalk function) each time you get in the car to disable the stop/start. Press once to switch off, press again to switch on. As soon as you turn the ignition off and back on again, the stop/start function is re-enabled and you have to press the button again.

I was wondering if there is some simple component/circuit that when connected to the pins at the back of the switch will automatically make the circuit as if the switch had been depressed once to switch it off? Even if you have to apply permanent power to this extra componentry? Forgive me, I am electronicaly thick!

Thanks for any advice :)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You aren't working for VW, are you :D

A quite simple solution consists of a 12V relay. Coil connected to some power supply voltage (12V) that is present as soon as the ignition is turned on (e.g. dashboard light), contacts connected in parallel to the pushbutton's contacts. But then you (or your customers) will be violating emission standards...

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
If they are confused by the technology, they would also be confused about modifying their cars circuitry.

I would hack my own car, but no way would I ever modify someone else's car.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
John, It is dark...OK..
It is not late, OK
But if you tell me to go to sleep, I will listen..:p

Martin

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Assuming this is a low power function such as a switch into a uC that then controls the engine, then:
1. Small reed relay across the switch with a capacitor in series with the coil.
2. Optocoupler across the switch with a resistor and capacitor in series with the LED. This is for when the voltage polarity across the switch is known, but you don't want to risk a grounding issues.
3. FET or BJT switch with RC delay if you are sure about the grounds.

etc.

ak

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
A better solution is to exp!ain the feature and why they want it. In my Prius you don't even notice when the car starts unless you are paying attention to it.

Hacking the car to reduce its gas milage sounds like a dumb idea to me.

Bob

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Apart from invalidating any warranty, would such a wiring mod also invalidate the driver's insurance (it would this side of the pond)?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Apart from invalidating any warranty, would such a wiring mod also invalidate the driver's insurance (it would this side of the pond)?
No. Not to my knowledge.
As long one is in control of their vehicle, insurance should not be impacted by it. Of course, I could understand a claim being denied after a fire if there was obvious signs of improper wiring, but most insurance companies would likely not even bother to investigate.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
You could connect the winding of a normally open relay to the start switch and the contacts to the override button. The relay closes every time you start the engine and disables the stop/start system.

BUT, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DISABLE THIS SYSTEM?
As BobK said, it would be better to explain the purpose and operation of the system, than just disable it "because my old car didn't have this function".