Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switch Help Please - Do I need something different

jmorrone

Jul 19, 2011
Currently I have a remote control garage door type 433mhz.
It has an "A" Button & a "B" Button
These buttons operate a Servo Button "A" Turns it one way.
Button "B" Turns it another.

I have taken this remote apart because I want to tie a momentary Toggle switch
with a center off to it. I currently have a 3 prong switch

I have set it up like the diagram attached but I have one problem. The switch will only work one way. When I throw it the opposite way it will not trigger the "B" Button

Now for testing I disabled the switch and just used the wires. If I touch the "A" wires togeher it works, and if I touch the "B" wires together it works.

It just doesn't work when attached to the switch. Can someone tell me if I have it hooked up properly or if I need to use a different type of switch?

Please see attached. Remote.jpg

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Are you sure that button A and B have a common connection and that it is the one you are tying together for your new switch?

Bob

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hi :)
Very often, the centre terminal of a switch like yours is not presented in the centre between the other terminals at the bottom of the switch. It'll confound your expectations!
So buzz out the switch with your multimeter and check which terminal is "in the middle".

jmorrone

Jul 19, 2011
Are you sure that button A and B have a common connection and that it is the one you are tying together for your new switch?

Bob

Considering they are two separate momentary pushbuttons on the remote I am not sure. I can look at the circuit and check if you mean does one trace on the circuit boards have a common? Is that what you are asking?

It may be that the circuits have two different route on the board, but I didn't think that would matter if it was a center off switch. Hopefully I am understanding you properly.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Considering they are two separate momentary pushbuttons on the remote I am not sure. I can look at the circuit and check if you mean does one trace on the circuit boards have a common? Is that what you are asking?

It may be that the circuits have two different route on the board, but I didn't think that would matter if it was a center off switch. Hopefully I am understanding you properly.
What I am saying is that you cannot replace 2 switches with 2 terminals each with one switch with 3 terminals UNLESS one terminal on each of the 2 switches are connected together. Use a multimeter in Ohms or Continuity Test to see if either of the terminals of the 2 switches are connected together. If so, wire those two to the center terminal of the new 3 terminal switch. Most likely there are two of the terminals that are both connected either to ground or to a positive voltage.

Bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I think it is likely that two of the terminals on the A and B switch ARE connected together. All you have to do is find out which these are and then connect them to the common terminal on you 3 terminal switch. Did you try meauring resistance between them with a multimeter?

Bob