Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me design circuit with PID temperature controller for temperatures 150-250 degrees

Red Bull Racing

Mar 13, 2016
Hi there, guys! I'm a hobbyist keen on making small cars of materials like plastic, wood and tin cans which are about 10-20 centimeters long or 1:360 to the original ones! I'm trying this since october 2013 without significant success and I've got a new idea to make some parts for these models. I want to create a machine for melting plastic chopped to small pieces and I'm going to use PID temperature controller, the unit I'm going to purchase is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSR-output-...746278?hash=item1c5ad13ca6:g:RlsAAOSwJkJWkyJz
Tell me if it's suitable, I liked it because of its cheap price which includes heating element and SSR, whatever it's used for. In the description it says it's 100-240V but it's called 12V DC, I thought to use computer power supply to use the PID, but with those electric current descibed, will I need just a cable to connect it to the electricity (220V)? I'm gonna construct somethning like pipe with a hole in its bottom from where the melted plastic will exit. I will push the chopped plastic pieces which I will load from the upper open part of the pipe with something like piece of rebar and tell me how to put the heating element included in the kit in the lower part of the pipe, near the bottom of the pipe where the melted plastic exits. Also explain me how to connect the heater element to the temperature controller and tell if there are any other components needed. Looking forward to your help! :)
There's also a picture of my idea

Attachments

• My idea for plastic melter.png
    My idea for plastic melter.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 113

Red Bull Racing

Mar 13, 2016
I said, I prefer help with the circuit, please, don't redirect me to places which promote to buy liquids, I don't find it that easy with them. I think after I succeed assembling this unit, I will be able to make lots of elements from recycled plastic.