Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Crystal Oscillator ?

mhall2

Nov 25, 2010
Hi,

I am repairing an old 1985 circuit that controls the stepper motors in my telescope clockdrive. All went well until I ran up against the crystal oscillator. It has 2 pins through the board with a shiny metal cap. The number 3.15434 is on the side, but nothing else. Don't know if this is MHz or KHz. I can't seem to find anything on the web for replacement parts. Anyone out there with an idea? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It is a crystal, not a crystal oscillator (some of the circuit around it is the oscillator).

It will be MHz.

Do you have any reason to believe something is wrong with it?

This doesn't seem to be a particularly popular frequency, so it would be rather unfortunate if something is wrong with it.

mhall2

Nov 25, 2010
I'm actually trying to adapt a newer board (8 pin DIN connectors) to my older system (5 pin DIN connectors). The newer board runs the motors at different speeds than I need so I am attempting to duplicate the parts on another older board I have borrowed. My old board got crunched and is unusable. Everyone I have spoken to locally kind of laughs when they see the part I need. Guess I may have to come up with the $400 to purchase a new controller box and motors (ouch!). I would love to have a cheaper option. Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Perhaps if you can post good sharp photos of both sides of the board you are trying to duplicate.

Pictures of your "crunched" board would be good too.

mhall2

Nov 25, 2010
Thanks. I'll see if I can get some posted. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!