Maker Pro
Maker Pro

7 segment display going crazy... any advice would be great

dishymars

Jul 10, 2013
Just bought a midi controller that has a 7 segment display. I upgraded the firmware for it and suddenly the display doesn't stop changing as if you were holding down the button.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps, resetting it, recovering it all back to factory defaults etc, all to no avail. I can open it up and it has computer like parts inside (circuit boards, pin connectors etc)
I made sure hte pin connectors were all tight etc. Inside everything looks great, brand new.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on possibly stopping it from constantly changing, once again its as if the up arrow to change the selection is being constantly pressed.

Thanks in advance!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The first test is that there's not something making the button pressed. Some dirt in the button, or a scrap of wire across the pins on the board.

dishymars

Jul 10, 2013
Theres nothing that I can see... the exterior buttons are pretty heavy with nothing on or around them, and inside looks absolutely brand new with no dust or particles anywhere. My impression is that its something to do with the firmware I'm wondering if there isn't some way to manually reset certain components etc. I disconnected the display and did a recovery, reset it etc, all to no avail. Any other ideas?

By the way thanks again for your time.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Is there older firmware you can try? (or newer?)

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
Are you sure that the hardware is compatible with the new firmware? Any user forum you could check out for any tips?

Why did you upgrade the firmware in the first place?

dishymars

Jul 10, 2013
Are you sure that the hardware is compatible with the new firmware? Any user forum you could check out for any tips?

Why did you upgrade the firmware in the first place?

It was a forced upgrade in order to get the PC Control panel. According to the forum any related problem was fixed by either doing a recovery or a factory reset or reseating the molex pin connectors. Apparently there is no way at all to roll back to the original firmware once updated.

Last edited:

dishymars

Jul 10, 2013
It was a forced upgrade in order to get the PC Control panel. According to the forum any related problem was fixed by either doing a recovery or a factory reset or reseating the molex pin connectors. Apparently there is no way at all to roll back to the original firmware once updated.

EDIT: Happy to report that I fixed it. It didn't seem like anything needed to be reseated but I went back and tried again and somehow it corrected it. I think it might have been a simple reset button whereas before I was doing an intricate reset using the firmware updater. So it was easier than I anticipated.