Connect with us

Seven segment display

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by weihungchew, Jun 17, 2021.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. weihungchew

weihungchew

Jun 17, 2021
    I want to display the hexadecimal number by using a seven segment display. I used 4 bit up-counter and one hexa-to-seven segment decoder, but this only can count from 0 to F. What if I want to display a sequence of hexadecimal numbers without following the ascending order? Is it need to add some other components like encoder or decoder?

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Of course. 4 bit = 0 ... 15 (dec) = 0... F (hex).
    This is insufficient information. Please explain in more detail what you want to do.

3. weihungchew

weihungchew

Jun 17, 2021
    I want to display the ID number like EEE2596273 using a seven-segment display, the numbers are displayed one by one and each number is displayed for one second

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    • Easiest with a microcontroller that controls the sequence and duration of each single digit display.
    • A counter to address an EPROM which stores the ID number sequentially is also possible, but imho is more effort than a micro.
    • Instead of an EPROM some glue logic (NAND, NOR etc.) can also be used. A good exercise in Boolean Algebra and minimization theory, but a bit cumbersome. Anyhow, this may be what your instructor expects. Freshen up your knowledge of minimization using Karnaugh-Veitch diagrams and get started.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
Ask a Question