Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Building my own bench drill

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Hello everybody

As this project is not exactly electronic, but electro-mechanical, I think that this is the best place to post it.

The thing is that since I remember, I have used a bench drill that my father built. The bench drill is one of the electro-mechanical tools that I use most of the time, and it is a very useful tool. As I'm currently living at my wife's house while keeping the old bench drill at my own house, it is difficult sometimes to work, as I have to do part of the job in my place, and the other where I'm living.

Once, I asked my old man: "What would I need to make a bench drill", and he answered
; "a chuck, a bearings box, a sliding piece, and an electric motor". Simple isn't it?.

Well, by that time (talking about 10 years ago) I had the chuck, and a tiny electric motor, but I lacked the sliding piece, and the bearings box. But the most important thing is that I did not really need the drill, as I was using the one that my father built.

Now things have changed and I'm not living at my place, so building the bench drill seems a good idea. On the other hand, as time went by, I got a suitable sliding piece and a pillar. And the bearings box (I have the bearings) can be made by a turner, so. why not? In fact, a turner has already made the bearing box that I need as well as the axle to hold the chuck and its pulley.

During my first attempt to built this tool I broke the sliding piece that I had, as it was made on cast iron and when I tightened the bolts, it broke. The pillar is OK, so I talked to the turner and he will make two anular slide pieces for the bench drill. I will need some welding too for the sliding piece.

To give you an idea of what I want to built, see the picture bellow. It will be operated via a lever to make it move downward, and will recover upward via springs.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Jeez Miguel, the way things are going with Obama, give it a few months and you'll be able to buy what you
want via trade with the U.S.
You're one of the guys I like to see here. Somebody who doesn't give-up once they get an idea in their head.
Just sorry to hear about all the trouble you have to go through to get things done.
Yeah. I like your idea and it should work great. When relations normalize, get a patent on it and market it so
you cut into all the cheap Chinese imports that are popping-up here.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
the way things are going with Obama, give it a few months and you'll be able to buy what you want via trade with the U.S.
Don't be so sure :confused:. I have not noticed any change in our normal life since 2014.12.17. Maybe on higher level, but for the "Cubans on feet", life goes on.
Anyway, I have nothing to lose trying it, and a lot to win, so why wait? :)

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
With a bench drill you generally need a way to vary the speed, done on most common available models by stepped pulley, if you have access to discarded tread mills in Cuba, they are a source of DC motors that can be varied in rpm easily, without the need for changing belt steps etc.
M.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Hi Minder

That would be for a very sofisticated drill, which is beyond my reach. The drill that my old man built has a single pulley and an AC motor, so, only one speed, and so will be mine. I have used it that way for a lot of years with good results. The only diference will be that I will use a bigger pulley in the chuck axle, for lower speed.

I'm not interested in a very complicated piece of machine, cause as I said, it is beyond my reach.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
The turner finished the anular pieces that I need to build the sliding piece. Here a picture of them, inserted in the pillar. The caliper is opened at 10 mm to give an idea of the dimensions.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Looks good Miguel. I know you said you want a simple machine, but if you can, I think you will find it easy enough to add a pulley or two of different diameter to the top of your quill pulley. That will give you various speeds with not much more hassle than simply changing the belt to the other pulley. This is how many of the existing commercially made drill presses have done it for years. This gives you the options of slowing down the drill speed for hard materials.

from toolboxbuzz.com
Skil-Drill-Press-Variable-Speed-Belt-System.jpg

dsiddens

Apr 23, 2011
Hello everybody

As this project is not exactly electronic, but electro-mechanical, I think that this is the best place to post it.

The thing is that since I remember, I have used a bench drill that my father built. The bench drill is one of the electro-mechanical tools that I use most of the time, and it is a very useful tool. As I'm currently living at my wife's house while keeping the old bench drill at my own house, it is difficult sometimes to work, as I have to do part of the job in my place, and the other where I'm living.

Once, I asked my old man: "What would I need to make a bench drill", and he answered
; "a chuck, a bearings box, a sliding piece, and an electric motor". Simple isn't it?.

Well, by that time (talking about 10 years ago) I had the chuck, and a tiny electric motor, but I lacked the sliding piece, and the bearings box. But the most important thing is that I did not really need the drill, as I was using the one that my father built.

Now things have changed and I'm not living at my place, so building the bench drill seems a good idea. On the other hand, as time went by, I got a suitable sliding piece and a pillar. And the bearings box (I have the bearings) can be made by a turner, so. why not? In fact, a turner has already made the bearing box that I need as well as the axle to hold the chuck and its pulley.

During my first attempt to built this tool I broke the sliding piece that I had, as it was made on cast iron and when I tightened the bolts, it broke. The pillar is OK, so I talked to the turner and he will make two anular slide pieces for the bench drill. I will need some welding too for the sliding piece.

To give you an idea of what I want to built, see the picture bellow. It will be operated via a lever to make it move downward, and will recover upward via springs.

We'll be moving down your way in our boat. I can offer to teach you mechanical devices. Doug

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
When I clicked on the Miguel's image it loaded but Malwarebytes alerted me that it blocked a malicious website.
Detection, 6/8/2016 9:36 AM, SYSTEM, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Domain, , Removed!!, 49899, Outbound,
I removed the hyperlink (TradeAdExchangeDotCom) because Malwarebytes doesn't even like my mouse hovering over it!
Anyone else get an antivirus alert?

Chris

Last edited:

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
I can see them OK, but CDRIVE's alert must be taken into account. Anybody?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
When I clicked on the Miguel's image it loaded but Malwarebytes alerted me that it blocked a malicious website.

I removed the hyperlink (TradeAdExchangeDotCom) because Malwarebytes doesn't even like my mouse hovering over it!

Chris
Imagebam does reference a script from tradeexchange ... This may or may not be intentional.
This is precisely the reason I use a Chrome Plugin to prevent things like 'java-script' from auto-running though. It's incredibly easy to serve malicious script through 3rd party sites, and ads.
Thankfully, ElectronicsPoint has only ever had a reference to google and skimresources. Both of which play nice ;)

If you would like, I can check out the script being served, but it would probably be better to save the image locally, and use the 'Upload a File' button beside the 'Post Reply' to share the image instead.

Edit: Does not look good to me tbh. Would be best to remove the link and upload the image directly to the forum instead. May be worth advising imagebam of this

Last edited:

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
I can not upload any file to the forum. When I attempt to do it, there appear the following message:

The following error ocurred.
There was a problem uploading your file.
<filename>

With no further explanations. I don't know why. Some time ago, I was advised at Electronics Point to use ImageBam due to this.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
drill.jpg
Have you tried recently?
In any case. It's attached here.
ImageBam may not know about this issue. It's usually not a problem. It's just so much nicer to have all the resources available on one site.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Well, yesterday, I tried with no success. Today, it seems that I can. Thanks.

Here is the other picture. This project is a bit delayed as I need some welding, and I'm waiting for the right guy to do the that work.

Attachments

• resized_DSCN1451.jpg
    resized_DSCN1451.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 151

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

Chris

yeah, I did as well

thanks Gryd3 for directly uploading to here ... beat me to it

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Dave, thanks for letting me know I wasn't imagining a boogeyman that wasn't there.

Miguel, welding cast iron is an exercise in futility. Though Cast Iron can be brazed. Is that photo the quill that was machined for you? I don't think you posted a photo of the broken casting.

Chris

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Hi Chris.

I did not posted any picture of the broken cast iron piece. Sorry. I don't think that I know anybody here who can braze cast iron.

The pieces that were machined for me are the anular pieces around the pillar.

For further explanation of what I want to do I wanted to upload a picture but it seems that today I can not upload neither. Sorry. The anular pieces will be welded together using C-beams.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
I uploaded this picture to 4shared. Not sure if this would give anti-virus alerts. Let me know.
this is how I want to build the sliding arrangement

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Miguel, I'm not sure what your questions are but it's an interesting project. Can you post a picture of the back side with the teeth?

Chris

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Yes Chris, no problem, althought I will not use those teeth as they are tiny and weak and they will not stand the require force for operation. On the other hand I don't have a suitable cog to operate with the teeth. I'll take the picture tomorrow as I don't have this pieces where I'm currently living.