Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Slingcatcher Circuitboard Component Identification

fbutler

Feb 22, 2012
Hi,

My Slingcatcher was accidently plugged into a 10V power supply and now won't power on at all.

As it is now a discontinued product and out of warranty I can't get it repaired by Sling.

I've dismantled it and performed a visual inspection of the components to see if I could spot any obvious issues.

All of the components look fine except for what I believe is a diode just above the input power socket on the circuit board.

This component is labelled as D10 and appears burnt and has a bulge on the side of it.

It appears to have the numbers "315" and the letters "KE" on the top of it as well as a symbol resembing a "B"

Can anyone identify what the component is from the attached photo and if so does anyone know where I could buy a replacement?

I'm based in the UK

Thanks

Attachments

• Fried Slingcatcher 020 Marked small.jpg
    Fried Slingcatcher 020 Marked small.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,689

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
It looks like a transient voltage supressor. You could bypass it but any future surges would completely knacker your unit. If you can figure out the limiting specs then you can source a suitable replacement.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
It looks like a transient voltage supressor. You could bypass it but any future surges would completely knacker your unit. If you can figure out the limiting specs then you can source a suitable replacement.

how did you come to that conclusion ?
its clearly marked as a diode on the PCB and has a bar on one end of the device as a normal diode would.
Transient suppressors are not usually polarised, rather they are non-polarised so they can react to transients of
either polarity or coming in on either leg of the power rail :)

Dave

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
fbutler
welcome to the forums :)

1) by chance are there any other diodes on the PCB with the same marking ?

2) what is just off the edge of the pic below the diode and the ferrite bead ?
looks like it could be maybe a voltage regulator

Dave

Last edited:

fbutler

Feb 22, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

How would I go about working out the limiting specs?

The power supply to it is a Ktec model ksaff0500400w1uv-1 with an output of 5V 4.0A

I've managed to identify the manufacturer of the component as BrightKing ( http://www.brightking.com/en/product.asp ) and their TVS components certainly resemble the one on the board. However I still haven't been able to identify the specifc component.

fbutler

Feb 22, 2012
fbutler
welcome to the forums :)

1) by chance are there any other diodes on the PCB with the same marking ?

2) what is just off the edge of the pic below the diode and the ferrite bead ?
looks like it could be maybe a voltage regulator

Dave

Answers:

1) No, none, however I have identified the component manufacturer as Brightking ( http://www.brightking.com/en/product.asp ) from the "B" symbol on the component

2) That's the actual power supply socket where the power enters the board

fbutler

Feb 22, 2012

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi fbutler

dont know if you saw my earlier questions ?

any other diodes on the board with that marking ?

fbutler

Feb 22, 2012
hi fbutler

dont know if you saw my earlier questions ?

any other diodes on the board with that marking ?

Yes I did see your reply. A couple of my posted replies appear to be missing.

No, there are no other diodes on the board with that marking.

I've now identified the manufacturer as BrightKing from the "B" symbol on the component,

And it does resemble their TVS products: http://www.brightking.com/en/subcate.asp?id=15&c=TVS

I am now fairly confident that the markings are "315" and "KE" as I found another picture of a Slingcatcher with an undamaged version of this compnent.

The input power supply is a Ktec ksaff0500400w1uv-1 5.0V 4.0A

Attachments

• img0339f.jpg
    img0339f.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 407

fbutler

Feb 22, 2012
Hi,

Yes I did see your reply. Some of my replies aren't showing as they are awaiting moderator approval. Probably because they included a URL.

There are no other diodes on the board with that marking
I have now identified the manufacturer as Brightking from the "B" symbol
I am now confident that the markings are "315" and "KE" as I found another photo of the board with an undamaged view of the component.
It does look like a BrightKing TVS but I still haven't been able to identify the exact one.

fbutler

Feb 22, 2012
smbj5.0a

Having scanned the datasheets and taken into account the input voltage of 5.0V I now believe the part is a unidirectional smbj5.0a TVS

Does this sound right?

Karine_Johanne

Oct 19, 2012
Hi fbutler,

Did you have a chance securing the component ? I found a local retailer but am hesitant to order until i 'm sure this is the right one.

Best

fbutler

Feb 22, 2012
Hi fbutler,

Did you have a chance securing the component ? I found a local retailer but am hesitant to order until i 'm sure this is the right one.

Best

I did manage to get the component, however by the time it arrived I had already cannabalised another non-working Slingcatcher and used the component from there, so I've never tested the component.