Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why does my camera go flat so fast?

kodiakfishaboy

Apr 6, 2011
:confused:Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this:
I have a samsung S760 digital camera that takes two AA batteries
and even though I've tried both nickel-cadmium and nickel metal hydride
rechargeable batteries (which all work very well in other applications)
my camera still doesn't last anywhere near as long as it should.
Would this be a fault with my camera or is it just how it is with smaller digital cameras?

Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Firstly, how do you know how long it "should" last?

Secondly, you realise that rechargeable cells have a lower capacity than non-rechargeable cells (in general)?

Thirdly, you realise that NiCad batteries have a relatively low voltage and may trigger the low battery warning earlier than for other cell types?

Fourthly, are you comparing their life to what the manufacturer suggests? If so, the manufacturer may be making some very bold assumptions (about the use of the flash for instance) that may not square with your actual use.

Fifthly, are you operating in a cold climate? Batteries perform worse in the cold.

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
My camera eats batteries like crazy too. The zoom and the screen are big power hogs. Try using lithium cells [not to be confused with lithium-ion(rechargeable)cells] They claim to last 7X longer. A lot more expensive but the longevity might outweigh the cost. I hear tell a newer version is coming out that lasts 9X.

kodiakfishaboy

Apr 6, 2011
When I say they don't last as long as they should I mean that they sometimes run out
after five-ten minutes.
(I have tried using normal energizer batteries but they seem to drain even quicker)

P.S. The camera is used in a normal un-extreme enviroment so I don't see any reason for it's quick loss of power.

Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Running out in a few minutes? That's definitely a problem.

Do the batteries feel warm (or hot) after this few minutes?

Does the camera indicate they're flat, or does it indicate they're flat and then stop working (i.e. are you sure its not just the battery monitor that's faulty?)

Is the camera still under warranty? If so, get it fixed!

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I had a camera, nikon that would eat batteries. 15 - 20 minutes of constant use and the batteries were dead. So I guess it is conceivable to get one that would only last 10 minutes.

I was always taking macro shots with mine, so maybe that had something to do with the power drain.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
if the flash is a xenon flash (high voltage, arc type flash) - not surprised.

You NEED to use lithium batteries, nimh just wont cut.. if you want to use rechargeables... you're going to be quite limited to what you can do.

1. Use Lithium Batteries.
2. Use a 14500 (www.dealextreme 14500 AA lithium Rechargeable) and put a jumper across the terminals (because of the one batter in series missing)
3. Use 2 14500 batteries (and add a voltage regulator)

Or do what I used to do, check for a Voltage Input if it has one, use a 6vdc battery and a regulator and simply plug it into the camera.

4. buy a new camera which comes with it's own rechargeable battery.

kodiakfishaboy

Apr 6, 2011
Running out ina few minutes? That's definitelya problem. Do the batteries feel warm (or hot)after this few minutes? Does the camera indicate they're flat, or does it indicate they're flatand then stop working (i.e.are you sure its not just the battery monitor that's faulty?) Is the camera still under warranty? If so, get it fixed!

The warranty has run out, so I'll probably end up just trying out better batteries. Thanks.

kodiakfishaboy

Apr 6, 2011
if the flash is a xenon flash (high voltage, arc type flash) - not surprised.

You NEED to use lithium batteries, nimh just wont cut.. if you want to use rechargeables... you're going to be quite limited to what you can do.

1. Use Lithium Batteries.
2. Use a 14500 (www.dealextreme 14500 AA lithium Rechargeable) and put a jumper across the terminals (because of the one batter in series missing)
3. Use 2 14500 batteries (and add a voltage regulator)

Or do what I used to do, check for a Voltage Input if it has one, use a 6vdc battery and a regulator and simply plug it into the camera.

4. buy a new camera which comes with it's own rechargeable battery.

Hi, it has in an input jack so I might try that idea out
(I'll try find some well-priced lithium batteries aswell)
Cheers.