Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Volume Controller for iPod

brad

Feb 27, 2011
Hello,
I am trying to integrate a modern audio system into my 1965 Mustang. My constraint is that I want the system to be invisible. With that goal in mind, I placed an amp in the trunk that is fed by a Bluetooth receiver that gets its signal from my iPod. The setup works in that music comes out of my speakers, but there is only one volume setting: LOUD!

It is my understanding that the iPod dock connector (my external Bluetooth adapter plugs into the dock) supplies a line-out voltage only. My plan is to mount a remote volume controller. I have found some info about connecting audio taper pots between the Bluetooth receiver and the amp. My question is, is there a way to control both channels with one audio taper pot? Also, how would you wire this up?

My skill set in this realm is minimal, yet I do know the basics of automobile wiring. At least I have not set the car on fire yet. :)

Tips, tricks and basic info welcome.

Krazyjuice

Feb 9, 2011
not sure what they were called but some vehicle audio amplifiers came with a passive gain adjuster or volume level control attachment. see if you can find one at a place that specializes in car audio. unless otherwise specified, it should be placed in between the source audio signal and the amp.

brad

Feb 27, 2011
While waiting for a reply, I did some more looking and came across a stereo audio taper pot.

Do I need to put capacitors in line with the pot to smooth it out? If so, what size/rating?

Also, if I place a 7805 next to my Bluetooth receiver or amp, will it interfere with it? I understand that the 7805 will step down 35v to 5v and this will generate quite a lot of heat. Since I am only stepping down 14.7v (with engine running), will I need a heatsink? I could mount it to the car if need be, but I'd like to house all of the components for this in a small box that I can mount under my seat within easy reach.

Thank you for any input and advice.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
While waiting for a reply, I did some more looking and came across a stereo audio taper pot.
Do I need to put capacitors in line with the pot to smooth it out? If so, what size/rating?

To smooth what out ? ;) nothing to smooth out :)

Also, if I place a 7805 next to my Bluetooth receiver or amp, will it interfere with it? I understand that the 7805 will step down 35v to 5v and this will generate quite a lot of heat. Since I am only stepping down 14.7v (with engine running), will I need a heatsink? I could mount it to the car if need be, but I'd like to house all of the components for this in a small box that I can mount under my seat within easy reach.
Thank you for any input and advice.

I assume you are talking about a 7805 voltage regulator ? what is it powering ? what current does that device require ? The 7805 will handle up to 0.5 Amp contineously but would need to be heatsunk.
I have never experienced any interference from any of the 78xx series regulators on any freq's I use from 7MHz to 24GHz

cheers
Dave

brad

Feb 27, 2011
I have a Belkin Bluetooth receiver that needs 5v/180mA.

I am asking questions about capacitors and such so I can avoid any interference problems with the audio signal. Basically, I know just enough about electricity to burn the house down. As we all know, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I have described what I want to do in the above posts. I'd appreciate ANY guidance you can give.