Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Use Of Current Source?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi Sarabjot and welcome to Electronics Point.

The circuit that you linked to is a source follower. This is the FET/MOSFET equivalent of an emitter follower and is used as a buffer. It is not a current source.

There is a link on that page to another page (http://www.falstad.com/circuit/e-moscurrentsrc.html) which is a current source (actually it would more often be described as a current sink).

The MOSFET acts as a current regulator; it limits the amount of current that can flow in its drain-source path. The amount of current is determined by the gate-source voltage; if this is constant, and within the range that makes the MOSFET operate in its linear region, the drain-source current will remain reasonably constant, as long as enough voltage and current are available from the supply rail.

This circuit works because of the behaviour of a FET when operated in its linear region. Have a look at this graph from the data sheet for the Fairchild 2N7000 MOSFET.

id vs vds.gif

The bottom trace, marked 3.0 (referring to a gate-source voltage of 3.0 volts) is pretty much horizontal over the drain-source voltage range from 0.5V to 5V (and beyond). The height of that line corresponds to a drain current of about 0.1A (100 mA).

So if you keep its gate-source voltage at 3.0V, a 2N7000 will pass a fairly constant current of about 100 mA (typically - that's a typical characteristics graph) over a wide range of drain-source voltage.

The comments below the schematic contain two errors: the MOSFET is NOT in saturation, and current flows THROUGH it, not "across" it.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
And it does not have infinite input impedance. But it is usually very high.
Adam

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
For DC, it's nearly infinite; for AC or other changing signals, it's lower due to gate capacitance.

I don't think so, a billion ohms is no where near infinate which is a lot greater than the gate resistance of a mosfet. Its lower for a.c um right ok. If it blocks d.c it block a.c. I didn't realise there was a special a.c current.
Adam

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Given that gate drivers can be required to pump several amps into the gate of a mosfet at only a modest number of volts, shall we agree that the effective impedance of a mosfet gate is not always high?

Yes, the gate of a mosfet is a capacitor and driving it is the same as driving any other capacitive load -- the impedance is related to frequency. At high frequencies it can be very low.

However mosfets, like most other active devices, are chosen for the application, and you are unlikely to use a large power mosfet with low Vgs(th) to amplify high frequency signals. Your chosen component will have a lower gate capacitance (essentially it will have a smaller gate) and thus exhibit a higher input impedance at the required frequency.

On top of this, you'll probably use a circuit configuration that increases the input impedance in cases where the frequency is such that even the small capacitance of the mosfet's gate does not allow you to achieve a desired input impedance.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes steve. But the resistance at d.c is not infinate which was my first point.
Cheers
Adam

sarabjot singh

Apr 10, 2014
Hi Sarabjot and welcome to Electronics Point.

The circuit that you linked to is a source follower. This is the FET/MOSFET equivalent of an emitter follower and is used as a buffer. It is not a current source.

There is a link on that page to another page (http://www.falstad.com/circuit/e-moscurrentsrc.html) which is a current source (actually it would more often be described as a current sink).

The MOSFET acts as a current regulator; it limits the amount of current that can flow in its drain-source path. The amount of current is determined by the gate-source voltage; if this is constant, and within the range that makes the MOSFET operate in its linear region, the drain-source current will remain reasonably constant, as long as enough voltage and current are available from the supply rail.

This circuit works because of the behaviour of a FET when operated in its linear region. Have a look at this graph from the data sheet for the Fairchild 2N7000 MOSFET.

View attachment 12322

The bottom trace, marked 3.0 (referring to a gate-source voltage of 3.0 volts) is pretty much horizontal over the drain-source voltage range from 0.5V to 5V (and beyond). The height of that line corresponds to a drain current of about 0.1A (100 mA).

So if you keep its gate-source voltage at 3.0V, a 2N7000 will pass a fairly constant current of about 100 mA (typically - that's a typical characteristics graph) over a wide range of drain-source voltage.

The comments below the schematic contain two errors: the MOSFET is NOT in saturation, and current flows THROUGH it, not "across" it.
Thanx a lot sir for this explanation :)
I got the concept of mosfet current source , But sir Can you explain me the concept of source follower that i have asked above .. I want to know how output of 2.79V is coming and what is the use of current sink there ...
Thanx in advance :)

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I tried to find a good explanation for a source follower but the ones I found were either too vague or too technical, so I'll explain it myself here.

The source follower configuration, also called common drain configuration, is the JFET and MOSFET equivalent of the emitter follower (aka common collector) configuration for bipolar transistors, and the cathode follower (aka common anode) configuration for valves/tubes.

Source follower and emitter follower circuits can be made with active components of either polarity, i.e. N-channel or P-channel FETs, and NPN or PNP transistors. I will describe the N-channel MOSFET version here.

Have a look at the schematic below.
sourcefollower.gif
1. It contains one N-channel MOSFET and one resistor (RS). The input signal is applied to the gate, and the output is taken from the source, which is pulled towards 0V by RS. The drain is connected to a positive supply rail (VDD), typically around +5 to +12V.

2. The thick line across the bottom of the diagram is the "0V" ("zero volt") rail. It is the reference rail, from which voltages at other points in the circuit (VG, VS) are measured. It is also called GND in some circuits, and VSS in JFET- and MOSFET-based circuits. The input and output voltages are also taken relative to this 0V rail.

3. The voltage between the gate and source is marked VGS. This voltage is important because it is the "input" to the MOSFET: it determines how heavily the MOSFET will conduct through its drain-source path. The MOSFET will start to conduct (through its drain-source path) when VGS exceeds its gate-source threshold voltage, which is a few volts for a typical MOSFET.

4. If VGS increases, the MOSFET conducts more heavily; in other words, it allows more current to flow through the drain-source path. If VGS decreases, the MOSFET conducts less heavily.

5. The gate has an extremely high resistance, so it places almost no load on the driving signal. In other words, almost no current flows into the gate.

That's all you need to know to be able to understand how the source follower works. It's really pretty simple.

Imagine that the input voltage (VG) is 0V. VS is pulled to 0V by RS, and VGS is also 0V, so the MOSFET does not conduct. Now imagine that the input voltage starts to increase steadily.

When VG reaches the MOSFET's gate-source threshold voltage, the MOSFET starts to conduct current from VDD into RS, causing VS to increase. As VG increases further, VGS also increases; this makes the MOSFET conduct more heavily, which causes VS to increase.

Because of how the MOSFET is connected, it will keep VGS roughly constant. If the input voltage (VG) rises, this causes VGS to increase, which makes the MOSFET conduct more heavily, which pulls VS upwards, to counter the change in VGS. If the input voltage (VG) falls, the dropping VGS causes the MOSFET to conduct less, so RS pulls VS down, keeping VGS roughly steady.

So the action of the MOSFET tries to keep VGS constant, and this forces VS to follow VG, with a voltage drop that's roughly equal to the MOSFET's gate-source threshold voltage. That's why the circuit is called a source follower - because the source voltage follows the gate voltage.

If the source follower is used to buffer an AC signal, the input must have a positive DC bias, to bring the MOSFET into conduction and ensure that the source voltage stays above 0V at all points in the AC signal, even at the maximum signal amplitude. There will be a DC voltage difference between the input and output, but from the point of view of an AC signal, the voltage gain of the circuit is about 1. If you put a 1V RMS sinewave into the input, you get a 1V RMS sinewave at the output. Only the DC level is shifted.

The voltage gain is actually slightly less than 1 because VGS does vary somewhat as the MOSFET's drain-source current varies.

The source follower does not amplify voltage. Its advantage is that the output current can be a lot higher than the input current. With a JFET or MOSFET, the steady-state input current is almost zero, so a source follower can have a very high current gain. Although it has no voltage gain, it still has power gain because of its current gain, so it is still a very useful circuit.

Last edited: