Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Temperature controller

the blur

May 6, 2013
I have a RTD sensor, and I need a simple wall mounted temperature controller. I'm controlling a 120volt solenoid. Can someone recommend something please. It can fit into a junction box, or any electrical box, with 120volt input.

Thank you,

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
RTD's work at 24VDC. There are also several different kinds of RTD's. To control the solenoid with the RTD you will need something relatively complex like a micro controller. RTD's are an analog device and will not directly switch a solenoid. A thermostat switch is a much easier way of doing this as you can find them rated for 120VAC and will directly switch the solenoid at the desired temperature. You may be able to find a unit built for using for this very purpose. We would definitely need more information about what your trying to do, as well as the specifics of the RTD you have ( i.e. how many wire does it have, what is the Resistance. )

Here is a thermostat switch that is directly switching a 120VAC solenoid. On the top is an adjustment screw to set the switching temp. setpoint.

I just noticed my cabinet cooler just to the right is sweating a little today. Better clean that up before it drips on my CPU!

image.jpg

the blur

May 6, 2013
Yes, I need a micro controller, and then I'll use a relay for the 120volts. But I need the simplest micro controller available.

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
Is this something you want to build yourself or plug and play so to speak?

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
Have you tried googling RTD controllers? There are several on the market, but will need to work with the specific RTD that you have. There are 100ohm, 1000ohm, RTD's. Two wire, three wire, and even four wire.