Maker Pro
Maker Pro

TARDIS Console Project

RobTBHowdle

Aug 31, 2011
Hello there!

Long time Doctor Who fan here and I've decided to do something rather big. I wish to make my own Doctor Who TARDIS Console that I can play with and have general fun with. I am trying to create a circuit with a total of 8 LEDs. Basically what I want is to have some sort of lever than goes down as I have four LEDs on one side and the same on the other. I want to be able to put a lever in the middle and as it goes back two LED's they light up. I understand I'll need some metal contacts but I'm using Circuit Wizard 2.00 and I'm having a bit of trouble planing this out, if anybody have shed some light on this I'd be very very grateful :D

Thanks

Rob

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A switch would be needed, microswitches are good for this type of application. Many microswitches are not micro! They have a little buttom on the side to switch them and are normally fitted with a lever to allow it to be switched with a low force.

Draw a diagram of the mechanical arrangement.

RobTBHowdle

Aug 31, 2011
A switch would be needed, microswitches are good for this type of application. Many microswitches are not micro! They have a little buttom on the side to switch them and are normally fitted with a lever to allow it to be switched with a low force.

Draw a diagram of the mechanical arrangement.

Thanks a lot for that. I think I understand the theory, could you correct me if I'm wrong please.

Metal contacts that would be joined to the LED's and I would have a switch where once added with a lever, the lever can be pulled and something in the switch to touch the metal contacts giving it the full connection until it has stopped touching the contact.

That is what I think would happen anyway.

I'll get one sketched up and post it on here for you?

Rob

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I myself am a doctor who fan (bring on the next one already stupid mid year break) and would love to see a rough design of your console too.

RobTBHowdle

Aug 31, 2011
Haha we're onto episode 2 this week over in the UK. I am terribly bad at drawing so I shall do my best!

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
A Tardis led switch

Hi RobTBHowdle.
The lever micro switch is the way to go, there are a few sizes, standard miniature, sub miniature.
Some have a leaver accurate and roller, some just the leaver, there are a few contact arrangements as well. This is a secret, as a kid i was scared of the darleks, thats the truth.
My son loves it, but hides behind his hands in the scary bits.
Oh on a final Amy is gorgeous, while the misses aint looking, stunning lass. Dave. :)

RobTBHowdle

Aug 31, 2011
Hi RobTBHowdle.
The lever micro switch is the way to go, there are a few sizes, standard miniature, sub miniature.
Some have a leaver accurate and roller, some just the leaver, there are a few contact arrangements as well. This is a secret, as a kid i was scared of the darleks, thats the truth.
My son loves it, but hides behind his hands in the scary bits.
Oh on a final Amy is gorgeous, while the misses aint looking, stunning lass. Dave. :)

Hahaha I wont tell her don't worry Dave :p

Another thing I was thinking of, in the time rotor I had a thought of a multi-coloured Rod, a thicker version of the ones used in the Star Wars FX Lightsabers. Programming a circuit to make that go multi-coloured, enclosing it in a tube, sealing it and then in the bigger tube which will be seen as the main time rotor have that filled with water. I have thought this through and realise this can either be amazingly good or amazingly stupid :L

Rob