Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tardis says what?

castnerm

Nov 10, 2012
Hello!

I building a cornhole board for Christmas, themed on the Tardis from Dr. Who. Ideally, when a bag goes through the hole, it would set off a blinking light on the top of the board, and the iconic Tardis sound effect. I am a rather handy person, and have worked with electricity around the house (running new cable and replacing light fixtures), but have no idea what would go into making something like this. I'm a quick learner, and would appreciate any guidance that can be given!

Thanks!

-Matt

galaxy

Nov 3, 2012
Matt,
There are a few simple circuits around for TARDIS effects. But just a suggestion, if you are not good with Electronics, why not see if you can obtain a device that already does the job.
My friend had a cookie jar in the shape of a TARDIS that flashed its light and made the sound when the lid was open.
Have a look at eBay, I'm sure there would be items suitable that could be used for parts to achieve your purpose.
After all it is not long till Christmas...not much time to figure it out from scratch, and why re-invent the wheel?

P.S. I had no idea what a Cornhole board was until I googled it.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You can get cheap digital recorders to put the sound on, even Radio Shack carries a cheap 10sec one... Fidelity is not all that great but it makes noise... Or even use a cheap Mp3 player if you can find one that is suitable to being easily hacked to play a single track...

Beyond that it's just a matter of making the trigger circuit to do this...

If you want a commercial solution instead of a DIY I can assist with that for a reasonable cost, sound quality would be about FM radio level, and tracks would be burnt by me and not changeable by you... But, be aware a custom solution is always more than something you can find over the counter and hack...