Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Speed Control Switch Installation On Motor

earlessdog

Dec 31, 2013
Hello everyone, I am hoping I can get some help.
About 4 years ago I bought a mid 60's Elac Miracord 45H turntable. It spun slow. I have worked on and off with it for 4 years to try and fix it. I have regreased parts, cleaned parts, replaced my idler wheel and what not and it still spins slow.

I have not tinkered with the motor yet, something I thought would be more likely to be in normal functional quality but I'm beginning to wonder if that or some of the other small electronic components have something to do with the issue.

I am not sure if it is ok to take the motor apart or if I can oil it or not, if so I would appreciate any guidance with such.

My other idea was to instal a speed control switch for the motor. If that is something that seems alright, I would appreciate info on how or where in the circuit to instal it, and also what switches would be recommended for a small motor like that.

Thanks

Derek

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Make sure the turntable and idler wheel run easily.

The motor is likely to be of the shaded pole variety and will not have very accurate speed control, a switch will not help. You can tell if it is a shaded pole motor by looking at the pole pieces which will have a thick wire wrapped around part of the pole piece.

These motors run hot and the lubricant can get very sticky, sometimes so much that the motor will not start. Such motors have two long bolts to hold the front bearing, pole pieces and back bearing together. The back bearing will be OK but the open front bearing may well be stiff. Clean and oil with one drop of oil.

Assemble the motor the same way it came apart. The turntable will not work backwards !

Check that the motor does have 110V going into it.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I used to repair talking books for the blind which were tape players. I tried all sorts of oil but a drop from my car's dipstick seemed to do as well as any. This meant I could get it going without taking it back home.
If the shaft is scored, there is nothing much you can do. Smoothing the shaft with emery paper and using Chromatap as lubricant only gave a short life extention. It seems that shaft debris can get embedded in the bearing.
Sewing machine oil may be a bit thin and may wander about. Under no circumstances do you want oil on the output shaft or the pinch wheel will slip.