Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sandisk vs. Samsung

mkam6588

Apr 25, 2013
Hey. I'm new to the forum. Been wanting faster load times. But can't decide which one to get. SANDISK EXTREME SSD 120 GB? or SAMSUNG 840 SERIES 120GB? Any thoughts?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
SSD? Either will be way faster than spinning metal.

Just remember that they wear out and that you definitely don't want to put swap on them.

Also make sure your backups are good because the least little hiccup can render your PC unbootable (it has happened far too often on my Windows PC -- but never on the Linux one).

Your drive will last much longer if you only use half of the storage (partition 60GB of it). It will typically be able to use the other 60Gb as spare sectors.

As to which brand you buy. Check out any of the consumer electronics sites for reviews or make your mind up based on price, reputation, etc. I really can't advise you there.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
I would personally go for the Samsung, I have a Samsung 830 series 128GB, its super fast and runs great, though I agree with steve, be careful and back your stuff up fairly often. Also make sure you change all the recommended settings to optimize your SSD.

I think the Samsung is on sale on Newegg.com for like 80 or something, but either way anything under 100 is a good deal.

mkam6588

Apr 25, 2013
Yea. seems like everyone really like Samsung SSD. just looked on newegg and they're selling it for $99. So i guess i'll get it from this:[A SPAMMER] for $88 and free shipping. wayyy better deal.

Last edited by a moderator: