Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RF Transmitter/Receiver help/possibilities

The Jackal

Feb 26, 2014
I have been working on the idea I have. I have no electronic back round, however I will try my best to explain.

Can a transmitter/Receiver act as a switch????

I have 3 existing power sources of 12V each and a 3 relays of 12V each to switch on each individual light. I am looking for a wireless transmitter/receiver to switch on an additional LED light strip for each of the individual lines. (See attached illustration). Every Transmitter/Receiver must have its own frequency to prevent switching on/off each other.

LED modules specifications:
* Layout as in the picture
* Same type LEDs or ones using less power.
* Battery must be small (9v square battery size preferably). CR123 batteries will be optimum.

Transmitter/Receiver module specifications:
* Must be max 30mm x 30mm max if possible.
* Slim as possible/ Compact
* Transmitter to work of an existing 12V power line.
* Must have a limited transmission distance of 1.5 meters.
* Should the module be used close to another person,the modules must not have an effect on other close by modules.

Questions:
* Can the transmitter act as a switch to switch on the LED strip at the receiver
* Can the transmitter work off the current 12V/12V relay power?
* Can the receiver work of a power supply that feed both the LED strip and Receiver at the same time?

Attachments

• Transmitter-Receiver idea.jpg
    Transmitter-Receiver idea.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 107

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
The problem I foresee is on the receiver side as it will have LEDs that are on a lot of the time, I assume, as they will be on when the light is on. This will be quite a battery drain. So it would be advisable to add a push button on the receiver that will display the LEDs only when pressed.
Is there any reason why it must be an LED strip and not just one LED?
Is each transmitter/receiver a separate pair or is there really just one receiver? It seems like the receiver is the portable bit, so having just one receiver to monitor all the lights would be desirable.

The Jackal

Feb 26, 2014
Hi Shumi,

Thank you for your reply so far....

The LEDs will only be on for a max of 1 minute as the switch is only used occasionally and yes it works on a push button principle.

They are 3 separate units, However if it is possible to have one receiver to work all 3 LED units, it would be even better. Yes the receievr is the portable bit, but each LED unit must have its own frequency so that not all 3 LED units are activated if for example Unit one is switched on.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Look on Ebay for wireless remote control module.

Bob

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
The xmitter/receiver set(link below) supports 4 channels, so it will work for you. However, for the output pins(D1-D4) to be high it has to be receiving a signal for the relevant pin. This means it has to be transmitting all the time, which will cause interference with other devices so you would have to work out a method to multiplex the lights so only one is sending at a time and not sending all the time.
The best solution would be to use a micro processor with a generic transmitter/receiver, but this will involve building a board and programming the micro processor.

If you only want to transmit 1.5meters, why don't you just use wires, it will be much simpler. I also don't follow why the receiver must be portable for such a short distance.

4 Channel Transmitter/Receiver

The Jackal

Feb 26, 2014
Morning Shumi,

It is difficult to say too much as this is a product that I want to market at the end. If I can explain this way: The portability is to be able to move away from the main structure like you would put lights in a back pack for visibility and connect it to a bicycle with existing visibility lights.Hope that makes sense :) I have thought about wiring and it is a solution, however wiring might get in the way and be ripped off.

To build a board with that micro process will be ok as I want to build this myself and with some help as i new to electronics. It is more than I can chew but that's why I ask questions. Im more practical...I will look into the micro processor idea u said...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
since you have already admitted to not having an electronics background
the complexity of a project like this is most likely way above you skill level

As both the other 2 guys have suggested ... you should be looking at already existing modular systems

cheers
Dave

The Jackal

Feb 26, 2014
since you have already admitted to not having an electronics background
the complexity of a project like this is most likely way above you skill level

As both the other 2 guys have suggested ... you should be looking at already existing modular systems

cheers
Dave

Agreed.. and I will look at existing modules...