Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Re-routing an analogue signal

simonbrackley

Sep 25, 2011
Hello everyone!

I was wondering what type of microcontroller I would need to be able to take an analogue signal and transfer it to an output.

My circuit design would include three analogue inputs (music) and then have buttons to switch between them, going to one single output which would go to my speakers.

Thanks in advance!

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
The selection of the microcontroller is subject to cost , power requirement and familiarity with it .

Use the one which you are comfortable programming .

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Almost any microcontroller with 1 input to step through 3 inputs, or 2 digital inputs for three buttons (00,01,10,11)...and 3 digital outputs will work.
three analogue inputs (music) and then have buttons to switch between them, going to one single output which would go to my speakers.
So, are you switching the outputs of three power amplifiers to one speaker, or three line inputs to one power-amplifier and speaker?

Ken

simonbrackley

Sep 25, 2011
Micro controller and Programming

So, are you switching the outputs of three power amplifiers to one speaker, or three line inputs to one power-amplifier and speaker?

Ken

Hello Ken, thanks for the reply,

I'm looking for three line inputs to one speaker. I'm looking for a rather cheap chip to use because I don't need many inputs/outputs. Are you saying I could use a digital output from the chip to the speaker?

How would you go about programming a simple circuit with an input (music) and output (to speaker)? I can do the rest.

Thanks
Simon

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Still confused :(

Again, do you mean:

1. 3 low level inputs--->3xswitch--->1 amplifier--->1speaker?
or
2. 3 low level inputs--->3 amplifiers--->3xswitch--->1 speaker?

If #1, what is the signal voltage levels of the inputs.
If #2, what is the amplifier's output power.

Ken

simonbrackley

Sep 25, 2011
Chip

Sorry, I haven't made this very clear.

The three inputs will be from devices such as my phone and the TV and a computer (so i don't know the voltages)

The output will go to the set of speakers which have a built in amplifier (desktop speakers)

Is this possible? Its only a switcher basically but I was wondering if you can do it with a chip.

Thanks

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
OK, those are "line-level" signals...~1v.
You can do it with a 2P3T mechanical switch.
Or, by an analog-switch IC like a CD4066, controlled by a CD4017 or a CD4022 or a microcontroller.
Do you want to press one switch that steps through the 3 inputs with each press? Or, 3 pushbutton switches that allow each switch to select a specific input?

Ken