Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PS4 lag...tried every fix I could find...PLEASE HELP!!

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Depends if they limit the speed of the connection from different data packages. Ask them to reset your bandwidth, tell them it seems restricted.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
.As it turns out, it was a Wildblue issue after all. We upgraded our package yesterday from the 10 to 30 Gig package. We at the time of upgrading had only used 20% of our data. I am on the phone with them now, and they tried to tell me we had already used up our data and were at 33 Gigs, apparently from yesterday to today we used all of that. He quickly saw the error, but is unsure of how to fix it, so I have been on hold for about 10 minutes while he is trying to get his supervisor to fix their own issue. :mad:
After they set the data back to the performance it should be, do you think that will fix the problem?
Doubtful , I really hate to say that the lag you are experiencing is caused by the 'latency' of the type of internet connection you have if it really is satellite.
Think of it like a drag race... your internet connection will sit at the green light for an extra half second... the car can still go 100 miles per hour, but this delay is what is killing your online gaming... not the speed.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Take a look in your router... some have a fe
Depends if they limit the speed of the connection from different data packages. Ask them to reset your bandwidth, tell them it seems restricted.
That should affect download/upload speeds... which should certainly match the plan details that are being paid for... but may not do a thing to the ping times / latency... :(

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
When I upgraded from 20 Mbps to 50 Mbps my ping rate substantially changed, I would be surprised if it didn't up to a certain amount.
Adam

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
When I upgraded from 20 Mbps to 50 Mbps my ping rate substantially changed, I would be surprised if it didn't up to a certain amount.
Adam
Depends on the ISP, they could have changed the routing instead of simply adjusting the throttling .
I can't see it fixing a 600ms ping though... That's painful.

DSLReports has a page with latency they expect from Satellite, although there are no sources quoted.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2001
Latency for satellite connections is very high due to the distance the satellites are from earth. One-way systems typically get pings in the 400-500ms range with 450ms about average and two-way systems in the 690-1150ms range, with 850ms about average.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes agree, I don't think it's going to bring it down to 20 ms but it may help. I read that if you use Net-limiter and cut your bandwidth by half your ping will go through the roof.
Adam

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Yes agree, I don't think it's going to bring it down to 20 ms but it may help. I read that if you use Net-limiter and cut your bandwidth by half your ping will go through the roof.
Adam
I sure as heck hope an ISP is not using that to limit clients....

swagguy8

Dec 10, 2014
try using 4g internet, tethering is supported on most android phones.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
try using 4g internet, tethering is supported on most android phones.
Do a single PS4 game update and your monthly bandwidth allotment is eaten up and then some.
Great idea though to use in a pinch. A cell phones internet connection can be shared, and latency is usually really good.
Just keep an eye on date-usage. It should be very light usage for 'playing', but updates and 'voice comms' will eat it up.

Victoria Parish

Apr 5, 2016
After talking with Wildblue, I must say that was a painful experience. They were all confused at what we were doing. I was switched from someone waiting on a supervisor, to randomly connected with a very rude supervisor who had no idea what was going on and said we used 23 Gigs of data in less than 24 hours and there was nothing they could do.
They are charging us $151.90/mo. for garbage. Then proceeded to tell me that with their internet I would always be a few seconds behind in first person shooter games no matter what I did because their internet did not support it, but that it would be great for any other online games. Like what? I have no idea.
They also said my ping of over 600ms was perfectly normal and had nothing to do with my lag in game. Complete garbage left and right.
Trying to find new service now, but living in a rural area there isn't really any options.
Has anyone heard anything about Windstream? Basically my options are Wildblue and Windstream I think. :(

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
After talking with Wildblue, I must say that was a painful experience. They were all confused at what we were doing. I was switched from someone waiting on a supervisor, to randomly connected with a very rude supervisor who had no idea what was going on and said we used 23 Gigs of data in less than 24 hours and there was nothing they could do.
They are charging us $151.90/mo. for garbage. Then proceeded to tell me that with their internet I would always be a few seconds behind in first person shooter games no matter what I did because their internet did not support it, but that it would be great for any other online games. Like what? I have no idea.
They also said my ping of over 600ms was perfectly normal and had nothing to do with my lag in game. Complete garbage left and right.
Trying to find new service now, but living in a rural area there isn't really any options.
Has anyone heard anything about Windstream? Basically my options are Wildblue and Windstream I think. :(
23 Gigs in a day is expected actually... PlayStation and Xbox can download that much in a single sitting if it's downloading a game or a number of updates. Do they offer a method for you to look at your current usage? Usually Service Providers will let you sign into a web-panel to view your current usage. You could argue against your usage unless they can provide you with the actual data they see, or some other form to monitor you usage.

That connection will not be 'great' for any multi-player online games. It will be 'good-enough' for turn-based games or slow-action games like Real-Time Strategy. It will not be good enough for most MMOs, FPS, or Racing Games. Even then, many games check the latency when match-making or setting up a game, and if it exceeds a certain threshold may refuse to connect. Games from the 90s started doing that when many people were on dial-up.
The 'speeds' you get however can let you stream media, and to load flash based or browser based games.

As far as the ping is concerned, if all they sell or mainly sell is satellite, then they must think 600ms is acceptable, and I hate to say that they are right... It's the nature of the product. Think of it like buying a tractor. It's capable for some tasks, but it's sluggish to get going, so it can't do anything that may be timing sensitive. This is the nature of the product, not the ISP... (But only if this is actually Satellite. It's been brought up, but not exactly confirmed.)
Considering the nature of today's internet, they should be more receptive and ready to deal with customer questions and complaints. Heck... you will have quite a delay doing remote administration work or video calls too.

swagguy8

Dec 10, 2014
Do a single PS4 game update and your monthly bandwidth allotment is eaten up and then some.
Great idea though to use in a pinch. A cell phones internet connection can be shared, and latency is usually really good.
Just keep an eye on date-usage. It should be very light usage for 'playing', but updates and 'voice comms' will eat it up.

in my area, there are 4g unlimited monthly for like $60 a month. i don't know how well they cover the region though.