Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Powering ATX Motherboard on 12V Battery

Drycola

Jul 14, 2010
Hello everyone,

I need to run an old ATX motherboard on 12V DC batteries instead of the powersupply. I need that for a robotics project.
I know that power supply provides +12V, -12V, +5V, & -5V DC to the motherboard and other components, but I'm little confused about the +12 and -12 issue, I mean can these be directly connected to the +ve and -ve output of the 12V battery??

My question in simple words: How can I run motherboard on 12V battery?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hello everyone,

I need to run an old ATX motherboard on 12V DC batteries instead of the powersupply. I need that for a robotics project.
I know that power supply provides +12V, -12V, +5V, & -5V DC to the motherboard and other components, but I'm little confused about the +12 and -12 issue, I mean can these be directly connected to the +ve and -ve output of the 12V battery??

My question in simple words: How can I run motherboard on 12V battery?

, but I'm little confused about the +12 and -12 issue, I mean can these be directly connected to the +ve and -ve output of the 12V battery??

NO :) its really a +12V terminal and a 0V terminal.

there are power supplies available that can power a ATX mbrd off a 12V supply.
I used one recently for a totally different project that I needed the negative voltage rails for

see it on my site.... http://www.sydneystormcity.com/IMGP6596.jpg

what country are you in ? if USA or Australia I maybe could help point you in the right direction.
in the mean time you could try googling something like ATX PSU from 12V supply
see what you get

cheers
Dave

petarkolev

Jul 16, 2010
The orange wire is+12, black is the 0. Blue wire is-12. In your case you need orange+black=12v DC.

JAMESJMCGEE

Jul 22, 2010
I am not sure at all, Im going to experiment (if no one explains why it wont work)
but it seems to me if you take a standard ATX ac power supply and tap in after the transformer and rectifier with 12V from a battery, it seems should function in the way needed. I say this because it is my understanding, the transformer and rectifier convert the AC power to 12Vdc.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
No, a mains PSU won't convert 12V put into it (neither into the HV side or the LV side) into any other voltages at all, there are simply no provisions etc. for such a function.

Some ATX UPS-PSU's (USPS) have a connection for a 24V battery and can run from that though. Two examples are the Apollo AUP-X-300B and the Skynet GRA-AX30.

There are 12V DC-DC ATX PSU's. Some are extremely small & simple, and won't do anything to the 12V put into them, so they can't neccessarily be used in a vehicle.
Ordinary motherboard requirements for the 12V are tighter than the +/- 20% variation you'll find in a car, but some of the newer DC-DC PSU's regulate even the 12V output.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
No, a mains PSU won't convert 12V put into it (neither into the HV side or the LV side) into any other voltages at all, there are simply no provisions etc. for such a function.

Some ATX UPS-PSU's (USPS) have a connection for a 24V battery and can run from that though. Two examples are the Apollo AUP-X-300B and the Skynet GRA-AX30.

There are 12V DC-DC ATX PSU's. Some are extremely small & simple, and won't do anything to the 12V put into them, so they can't neccessarily be used in a vehicle.
Ordinary motherboard requirements for the 12V are tighter than the +/- 20% variation you'll find in a car, but some of the newer DC-DC PSU's regulate even the 12V output.

agreed with the first 2 statements

Read up and you will see my comments about the 12V input DC-DC converter for powering an ATX m-brd they work very well... so much so that I even use them on projects totally unrelated to computers, again see the link in my above posting :)

Dave