Maker Pro
Maker Pro

photodiode testing

Dr. Arun Joglekar

Dec 1, 2009
I have purchased Silicon and InGaAs photodiode and wish to use these. To begin how do I test that they are working? Can I use a multimeter to check that these are not burnt/damaged? If so where I should attach the common(black) electrode-anode or cathode? Will multimeter voltage damage the PD?

And can I use a multimeter to measure current output while pointing Si PD to bulb or Sun?

Arun Joglekar

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
There are at least two ways to bias photodiodes, each with their own advantages.
I'd not be afraid that a multimeter would be able to damage a silicon PD.
I'm not familiar with the InGaAs characteristics, but the current output test is always safe.

neon

Oct 21, 2006
you got it right use a multimeter on the hi scale there is usualy a 9v battery but that will not blow anything because hi res. however make sure of polarity otherwise it could damage it.

eptheta

Dec 20, 2009
Multimeters won't harm it much (the silicon one). I've used mine to test my photodiodes. I had trouble measuring voltage for some reason, but resistance mode is accurate enough.

heri.aza

Dec 31, 2009
I use silicon photodioda for my proximity sensor. I ofter measure the photodioda in "on" and "off" circuit.