Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Phone battery charging woes

khankll

Feb 6, 2011
hi

i have asus p320 its charger is damaged,but my mobile can be charged using usb data cable.but that is hell slow i checked it once and it took 14 hours to chgarge from 5% to 100 %.

now as i cannot wait that long neither can i leave my pc on overnight,so i need some goood way to charge it,

i cannot find original charger in local market , ordering online is a US $100 + [as transportation charges are very ghigh to my location..

so i bought a local cheapo china charger , it is charging my set but it keeps on charging .. it never stops over-charging it... even if it is 99 % it wont say anything it would just pump it for hours and hours.. whareas if i charge it usin this heapo upto 99 % and then connect it to pc usb it completes charging after 10 to 15 minutes and the battery is shown as charged but if i again connect this fully charged battery to cheapo it will continue charing it indefinitely..this way [i.e i left the cheapo plugged and thought that after being charged the mobile charging light will turn green from red indicating that it is charged but alas it didnt happened..] i damaged one of my battery, now i opened the charger [cheapo] and to my astonishment there was just a transformer and few diodes resistors and capacitors.. no other chgaring ics...anyhow the cable flowing out of charger has two wires and checking voltage on it my a bit inaccurate multimeter gives 4.7 volts,, checking the usb volts from pc shows 5.2 volts ,, in other words my mobile is accepting both to charge itself.. going by the same logic i cut the wire of sony ericsson cst-60 from its connectors and then checked the voltages it was a nice 5.1 volts.. now having the connector [mini usb] from the cheapo charger and the needed voltage from the se charger i matched the polarity and tried to charge my fone but nothing happens.. ? so can any body help me what to do ? thanks oh by the way i also tried 3 nokia chargers still no success..
the reason for using nokia / se charger is to get something reliable ..

the cheapo says in its output : as 5v, 800 ma,..practically i just checked the voltage it was 4.7 volts..

my aim:
to charge my mobiule faster at least in 3-4 hours .. whether through usb by making the port supply above 100 ma.. or use the se / nokia charger..

Tesla

May 10, 2010
Charging Lithium batteries is tricky because they like to explode (and burn your house down) when over charged or they become defective.

It's better if you leave the phone on and let it use it's "intelligent charge mode" to monitor and control the charging process.

USB ports on PC are limited to 500ma (0.5 amps).

If you have a USB port on the phone you have the perfect situation. Just get a 5v 1.0 to 1.5 amp iPhone charger and problem solved. I think you can get those anywhere in the world, and they will be setup to use your local AC power plugs.

khankll

Feb 6, 2011
Charging Lithium batteries is tricky because they like to explode (and burn your house down) when over charged or they become defective.

It's better if you leave the phone on and let it use it's "intelligent charge mode" to monitor and control the charging process.

USB ports on PC are limited to 500ma (0.5 amps).

If you have a USB port on the phone you have the perfect situation. Just get a 5v 1.0 to 1.5 amp iPhone charger and problem solved. I think you can get those anywhere in the world, and they will be setup to use your local AC power plugs.

thanks for the reply but i am of the view to use the above charger.. infact what is making me crazy that my fone is charging on usb data cable and the voltage is 5.1 and the current as reported by windows is 100 ma...

and the phone is also charging on cheapo which gives 4.7 v@ 800ma..
but y isnt it charging at 4.9 volts bst3 when the same connector was cut from the cheapo charger .. that thing is driving me crazy..