Connect with us

Ottlite 18w ballast replacement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by bonzjivar, Mar 26, 2019.

1. bonzjivar

bonzjivar

Mar 26, 2019
    I am replacing a blown ballast on an Ottlite. Power surge fried the original. Ottlite sold me a replacement but it is not the same as the original and Ottlite will provide no schematics or instructions. I have attached a picture of the blown original and also the new replacement. Of course the solder points marked "L" and "N" on the replacement are for the power source connections. Can anyone help me with which wires connect to points marked A,B,C and D? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    At a guess I'd say the two white from the original go to the a-b and the two black to the c-d.
    A shot of the reverse side s of the boards would perhaps help.
    What you're after is the two filaments ens, one pair on each end of the tube.
    Trace out where they went originally and compare to the new board traces/components.

3. bonzjivar

bonzjivar

Mar 26, 2019
    Thank you for looking Bluejets. Here are the backsides of the ballasts. Does that change anything?

Attached Files:

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Hard to say with all the white gunk over the original terminations.
    Your pic shows clearly thew line in but we're not interested in that end.

5. bonzjivar

bonzjivar

Mar 26, 2019
    They say 3rd time is a charm. I appreciate you looking at this again. I'm thinking that, like you originally stated two white from the original go to the a-b and the two black to the c-d.

Attached Files:

6. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Ah yes, that's better.

Agreed.

7. bonzjivar

bonzjivar

Mar 26, 2019
    Thank you Bluejets your help IS appreciated. Take care.

Ask a Question