Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Off grid and popping capacitors on electronics

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If the title of this thread has any meaning, then buying 1000 replacements will not solve your problem.

If these devices are failing it is likely because your voltage is too high or the are high energy voltage spikes.

Mitchell Cunningham

Dec 18, 2016
If the title of this thread has any meaning, then buying 1000 replacements will not solve your problem.

If these devices are failing it is likely because your voltage is too high or the are high energy voltage spikes.
Correct!
Thank you for your time.
I'm off grid, supplying power with a generator to a inverter that charges my batteries. Then, comes my next quest. And that is a surge arrestor. The tvr in question was in my inverter. I can protect components inside the house at the panel but I'm trying to protect the inverter. Not finding anything the I am comprehending at this moment. This issue is out there but the solution is evading me.
Mitch

Graham

Nov 10, 2009
Hi Mitchell - did you find one? I am just salvaging parts off a board from a UPS and found one of these. I came across your post while I was trying to look up what on earth a TVR 14561 is!! It looked like a capacitor to me (albeit a very big one), but on the PCB it is labeled as an 'MOV' where capacitors are usually marked as C, and it has a strange diagramatic marking on the board that looks a bit like -NN-, so it piqued my interest...

IMG_2575[1]_lowres.jpg

Anyway - not really understanding what it does, or how I might use it - I have no use for it, and you are welcome to it if you are still in need...
I don't know what postage from Aus would be, but certainly cheaper than a job lot of 1000!!

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
but on the PCB it is labeled as an 'MOV' where capacitors are usually marked as C,

that's correct and that tells you the difference :)

and it has a strange diagramatic marking on the board that looks a bit like -NN-, so it piqued my interest...

basically it's telling you that it is like a pair of face to face diodes

Anyway - not really understanding what it does,

it's a surge/spike protector
They have a breakdown voltage when they will go short circuit and cause the mains fuse in the power supply to pop
in your case I see the fuse isn't there, rather it's position is linked out ... one then hopes that the building mains circuit breaker,
that that device is on, trips.

If it is the only part in the PSU board that fails, removing the blown MOV will allow the PSU to fire up ....
just keep in mind there is no longer any protection for the PSU

Dave