Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Never wired a relay. 8 pin socket. Need help!

midrange

Aug 14, 2012
Hey guys, new here. I've got a bit of wiring knowledge, took a good amount of circuits classes in college. Never really did much with relays though, so I'm simply not sure what to do here. Here's the relay I'm using: http://www.infitec.com/series/pdf/ff712857da68e826c15ec1c2eea07687.pdf

If you scroll down to connection diagrams, the specific model relay I have is the third to the right: 8-PIN BIR-BMR-BRSR. For my application, the seller told me I could wire the output in an X fashion so that it will reverse the voltage back and forth as it switches at each time delay. On the basic level, I don't know how to wire this. It comes with an 8 pin socket. I'm unsure of whether or not I need to fully wire all 8 connections, or if that's done internally and I just need to connect outputs and the voltage regulator input? To clarify, I've got a 12V battery as a source input, and the output is going to a small electrical motor that will spin one way or the other (based on positive/negative voltage.. hence why I'm looking to be able to do the X output to reverse voltage).

Thanks guys, I'd really appreciate the help!

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
you would want to connect pins 1 and 3 as one direction, then pins 5 and 8 as the other direction, controlling with pins 2 and 7

1 and 3 are a normally open connection which when the relay is energized it will connect
5 and 8 are normally closed so when the relay is energized it will disconnect
this way you aren't shorting things out, and the 2 motor power connections are isolated.

Im not sure what motor you are using but this will have no delay between forward and reverse power, so if its a large motor it will take a little bit of time to slow and reverse direction after the relay connects.

midrange

Aug 14, 2012
you would want to connect pins 1 and 3 as one direction, then pins 5 and 8 as the other direction, controlling with pins 2 and 7

1 and 3 are a normally open connection which when the relay is energized it will connect
5 and 8 are normally closed so when the relay is energized it will disconnect
this way you aren't shorting things out, and the 2 motor power connections are isolated.

Im not sure what motor you are using but this will have no delay between forward and reverse power, so if its a large motor it will take a little bit of time to slow and reverse direction after the relay connects.

thanks a lot! by one direction and the other, you mean using a diode I would assume? controlling with 2/7- that's my power source, correct? I'm using a constant 12V battery as I said. so 4 and 6 are going to my motor?

as far as the motor.. its very small. its opening and closing a valve.. when it gets to either fully open or closed, the motor stops itself from trying to turn. so i could have the time delay set to be longer than it takes to open or close. but still it'd be nice to have a delay between one direction and the other. would this be possible with some caps or a little extra circuitry?

thanks again, i really appreciate the help