Maker Pro
Maker Pro

need help again lrc parallel magnitude impedance

e21959

Feb 4, 2014
Hi . I'd like to see the calculations that lead to the termination impedance formula in 1st picture >> ((a) is the right one answer). i saw another formula to calculate impedance (2nd image from left) and both are right, i ve tried to insert some value for r,C,L and the result is correct in both obviously, but i m interest in 1st one calculation, since i cant figure out how the final formula is obtained.Tvm in advance

Attachments

• sshot-1.jpg
    sshot-1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 167
  • sshot-2.jpg
    sshot-2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 109

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Hi . I'd like to see the calculations that lead to the termination impedance formula in 1st picture >> ((a) is the right one answer). i saw another formula to calculate impedance (2nd image from left) and both are right, i ve tried to insert some value for r,C,L and the result is correct in both obviously, but i m interest in 1st one calculation, since i cant figure out how the final formula is obtained.Tvm in advance
Just a matter of simple algebra.

e21959.JPG

Ratch

e21959

Feb 4, 2014
Tvm Ratch.
I figured out how to move from the first to the second term
doing a common denominator
, but not from the second to the third , may you kindly show me the steps that you did ? did you multiply above and bottom for denominator?

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Tvm Ratch.
I figured out how to move from the first to the second term
doing a common denominator
, but not from the second to the third , may you kindly show me the steps that you did ? did you multiply above and bottom for denominator?

To find the absolute value of a complex number, find the positive square root of the sum of the real part squared, plus the imaginary part squared, of the numerator and denominator separately. Don't include the "j" term when you square the numbers. The third term above is the absolute value of the second term. Look up how to find the absolute value of complex numbers.

Ratch

e21959

Feb 4, 2014
Tvm Ratch. i think i got it .say z = complex number, = a +ib
| Z | = sqrt (a^2 +b^2), then in the above expression >>
RXC - RXL = a > a^2 = (RXC -RXL)^2
XCXL = b > b^2 = (XCXL)^2
SQRT (RXC-RXL)^2 + (XCXL)^2 = denominator
RXCXL = b = numerator >> b^2 = (RXCXL)^2>>SQRT = RXCXL. is it right ? Tvm

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
The third term above is the absolute value of the second term.
Ratch
However, Ratch, the question is if you can equalize both sides : complex expression=absolute value ?
For my opinion: complex expression=magnitude*exp(j*phase).

e21959

Feb 4, 2014
Ratch You have not told me if my reasoning is correct .yes or no? :)^_^ Best Regards

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
However, Ratch, the question is if you can equalize both sides : complex expression=absolute value ?
For my opinion: complex expression=magnitude*exp(j*phase).

You are right. The magnitude of a complex expression is not the same as the complex expression itself. The magnitude of a complex expression does not contain any "j" components, only a real number. I should have emphasized that better and not used equal (=) signs to equate the third term to the second term.

Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Ratch You have not told me if my reasoning is correct .yes or no? :)^_^ Best Regards

If you are referring to your post #5, then yes, that is basically correct. I would use ----> instead of > or >> to mean "results in". The absolute value of a complex number is well defined. Do some exercises to bond your understanding of absolute value.

Ratch