Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Napco MA1008e Ver 2 - Battery Over current protection

CarlPNY

Feb 5, 2024
Hello,
I have a Napco MA1008e Ver 2 alarm panel. While swapping out the backup battery in the unit, it appears as if the overcurrent protection may have opened. The panel doesn't receive power from the backup battery now, but still works on AC power. After a while of being powered on, I receive a low battery message on the keypads. The two fuses that are visible on the board are a 3A for Burglary/Fire output and a 1A for remote power. Would anyone happen to know what Napco used for battery overcurrent protection on this particular panel. I'd like to try to repair the board if possible.
Thank you.
Carl

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I worked with that generation of Napco panels back in the day when it was the state of the art in alarm panels. The MA1008 was a good panel.
Unfortunately, alarm panel manufactures, all brands, don't share schematics or give tech support for repairing panels, and it just wasn't/isn't practical for techs to repair panels in the field, so I never learned details like what you're asking.

I haven't worked with an MA1008 in close to 20 years, and I don't remember the power-up protocol, but typically alarm panels are designed NOT to power up from battery alone; and if you're trying to start it up before plugging in the AC transformer, then that may be the source of your issue.
A "Low Battery" message is also not unusual right after a battery is replaced. Alarm dealers and their techs don't normally see that, because they have a regular turnover of new batteries fresh from the factory; DIYers typically buy them from Batteries Plus or equivalent and the batteries they purchase may have been on the shelf awhile and not completely up to par when first installed. Rule of thumb is to wait half a day for the Panel top off the new battery.
If that's what happened to you, the issue may have resolved itself by now---if you left it plugged in with the battery charging. If you measured the charging current with the AC transformer plugged in, and the battery wasn't charging, then now would be the time to mention that.