Maker Pro
Maker Pro

mini usb trace and pad broken HELP!!!!!

wireman24

Mar 22, 2013
I am trying to fix my son's kindle fire USB plug. It quit working and when I opened it up I found that all of the pads had come loose and two were broken.

I have a new plug to solder in but as you can see two of the five pads are ripped off.
I was thinking I could just run a wire jumper from the plug to were these two runs go like I have in the picture in yellow.

But here is the big question. see the second picture. On the under side of the pcb in line were these two ripped pads are there are two small black squares. I dont know what these are. Do you think these are hooked up to the pads going through the board? If they are how would I fix that? Can I just run jumpers to these as well and solder a wire to the little bit of solder I can see on the sides of these little squares?

Or do you think just running the two jumpers like I said in the beginning would be enough to fix this like in the first picture.

Any tip or help would be great.
Thanks

Attachments

• pads.jpg
    pads.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 321
  • underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Get some fine wire, if you can wait hit up Ebay for some kynar wire, you can get a few feet of it in Ebay for a few bucks... If not get some wrapping wire from Radio Shack... If you use the wrapping wire from Radio Shack you will need to use some sand paper to remove the lacquer coating so you can solder... The kynar can be stripped like any other wire...

Now take a razor blade and CAREFULLY scrape the green resist off those two vias you are talking about on the bottom of the board so you can solder another jumper there or simply solder to that side of what is likely a capacitor, solder the 4 jumper wires I have highlighted, you likely need to solder the two under the connector on the other side of the board so that the connector sit flat, wrap the wires around the edge of the board...

Be careful with your heat so you don't life any other pads when resoldering...

Attachments

• jumpers.jpg
    jumpers.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 288
  • solder here.jpg
    solder here.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 351

wireman24

Mar 22, 2013
Let me get this straight I understand the first picturewith the four jumpers.

But I am a little confused by the second picture.
Do I need to attach a jumper were you put all four arrows or just choose between the two locations 1:the vias or 2:the side of the capacitor?
If I do this on the bottom of the board then I would not need all four on the top like in the first picture just the two correct?
Then were do I go with those jumpers on the bottom after they are connected?
I am assuming I wrap them up over the side of the board and then to were the other jumpers are going on the top?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Do I need to attach a jumper were you put all four arrows or just choose between the two locations 1:the vias or 2:the side of the capacitor?

Choose a location...

If I do this on the bottom of the board then I would not need all four on the top like in the first picture just the two correct?

You still need to make all four connections but the two will wrap around to the other side of the board (or possibly though a hole if there is one available) and connect where the capacitors are...

Then were do I go with those jumpers on the bottom after they are connected?
I am assuming I wrap them up over the side of the board and then to were the other jumpers are going on the top?

Yes, wrap around and connect the appropriate locations... If the USB connector rides off the board you can skip wrapping the wires around the edge of the board and simply solder them to the top of the board, but most connectors sit flush with the board thus the necessity to wrap to the other side...

Sorry about the brevity, I have two children that have decide daddy is a jungle gym and trampoline today, it's driving me batty...

wireman24

Mar 22, 2013
Sorry for all the questions you have been great.
How about doing it like this?

Or should I still do the top side with all four.
I am not sure I can fit the wires under plug to get the two that you added to the first picture.

Attachments

• pads.jpg
    pads.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 202
  • underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 224

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Sorry for all the questions you have been great.
How about doing it like this?

Or should I still do the top side with all four.
I am not sure I can fit the wires under plug to get the two that you added to the first picture.

That is exactly what I suggest... If you need to look at the top of the board against a bright light, chances are you can file a small groove on the edge if you need more room for the wires to pass... If you hold it up to the light and it's translucent you are good to go, if it's opaque there is a trace there so no go on filing... From the pictures it appear the traces are set inside the board a decent amount so a small groove should not be a problem if need be...

wireman24

Mar 22, 2013
OK so you agree with how I have it in the last two pictures I posted ?
I am going to do this tonight I hope.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yep, should work fine once you get it all wired back up like you have pictured... Just make sure there are not shorts when you do it...

When I do these type of repairs I mix up some 5 minute epoxy and using a toothpick to apply a small amount of epoxy to tack down the wires so they don't move... You can also use a piece of electrical tape to do the same...

wireman24

Mar 22, 2013
Thanks for all the help your a life saver.
I will be doing this in the next few hours I will put up a message to let you know how it went.

Thanks again

wireman24

Mar 22, 2013
Well I got the new USB plug in there and half of it works.
It can now charge the kindle so that's good at least my son can use it again.

The only thing it cant do is send data through the plug like if I wanted to hook it up to a computer. He never did that anyway so i think I am going to leave well enough alone.

There just does not seem to be enough to solder onto on the back of the board by the capacitors. It's so tiny the pictures make it look allot bigger than it is.
Maybe someday I will try to tackle that if I can find smaller wire but what I have is just too big for that.

So thanks for all the help my son is very happy to get his kindle back.
Thanks

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Hit up Ebay and do a search for Kynar (26-30 gauge is fine, most of the short lengths are 30 gauge) and order a length of it only a few bucks, it's hand stuff to have around...

Good to hear you have it sorta working, as for the amount of solder and small parts, quite aware of that, practice makes perfect ;)

wireman24

Mar 22, 2013
Thanks for the info I will order up some of that Kynar wire and then try to get the data working .

ritter2009

Apr 14, 2013
Hello, I have the same problem with my kindle except mine is not only missing the middle pin pads but the outside ones. Mine has also ripped off the back pads on the edge of the board. I do not care about transffering data, I only want to be able to charge the kindle again. The kids want their kindle back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BillGod

Apr 25, 2014
Dont mean to hijack an old thread but this is the only thread on the net I can find that people are discussing this exact issue. I have repaired a fire but 1 pad has lifted. its not any of the pads that have been discussed here. In the pic attached you can see what pad is lifted. If someone could just tell me where it goes I would be very grateful.

Attachments

• 0423141902b.jpg
    0423141902b.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 202

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Dont mean to hijack an old thread but this is the only thread on the net I can find that people are discussing this exact issue.

After this much time, I think we can call it recycling -- and that's a good thing :)

I have repaired a fire but 1 pad has lifted. its not any of the pads that have been discussed here. In the pic attached you can see what pad is lifted. If someone could just tell me where it goes I would be very grateful.

The damage from your picture appears to be the 4th pin along, but It's hard to see anything because the image is not well focused. Try taking a shot through a magnifying glass or similar so you can get closer.

The 4th lead from the left seems to connect to the left hand side of the small black component (possibly a diode) just below it. I'm not sure of that, but from other pictures in this thread it looks that way.

Maybe someone else here has a Kindle and is prepared to look once we are sure what pin you're talking about.

BillGod

Apr 25, 2014
Yes it is the 4th pin.. I thought it looked like thats where it should go but was not positive on that one.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm not 100% positive either. Have a close look at the images posted earlier in the thread (that's what I went on) and compare them to your board. What do you think?

Maybe you can find some high resolution images of the kindle board on the internet that will help?