Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Massage Chair Remote Error(King Kong)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I can't upload yet, waiting on admin.
What are you waiting for?

Images can be uploaded at 100 kB to 300 kB size per image.
Videos can't be uploaded, only links to videos on other platforms. Use the "media" button above:
upload_2020-12-2_20-21-2.png

Regards,

Harald

kland1

Dec 1, 2020
I'll post again when I do the final installation and testing of the new part. I can't upload yet, waiting on admin.

Ok, I'll need to set up a website location for videos and pics, will work on that soonest, thank you

kland1

Dec 1, 2020
IMG_4401.jpg IMG_4402.jpg IMG_4403.jpg IMG_4404.jpg Here is the Toroidal step-down transformer before and after digging out the thermal fuse.

OrangeFJ

Dec 10, 2020
View attachment 48987 Hi all: I am in the process of doing this same repair. It should be noted that removal of the board is imperative to properly servicing the transformer unless you like grappling around under the chair to remove the wire ties, retaining nut and transformer lead connectors to remove the transformer. The connectors come off with little tabs that must be raised while pulling them apart; similarly with the motor connections on back of the board. There is also 4 screws holding board to bottom of chair chassis-I found that pulling the pin off the recliner arm servo underneath permitted the chair back to be moved forward to access board cover and mounting screws. I would also suggest that one buy the barrel-type thermal cutoff as it is rated for 10 amps while the flat type only 2 or 3. This may make a big difference on warmer days or heavy chair usage. I also plan to drill some holes in the side of the board cover to allow some heat to escape from the transformer. I would suggest only the sides because dust or other debris may be able to fall in from above. I also had to undo one secondary winding and unravel it a few times to create enough room to get at the remains of the fuse. This must go back just like it was. Heat shrink around the winding solder joints should prevent any shorts after retaping it up. I am also going to bench-test the tranny before re-installing. Apparently my replacement parts (I bought 2 round ones from guy in the link above) are already in the country so I'm just waiting for them to arrive. I will try to post some pics and commentary of re-assembly (minus the cursing and expletives I'm sure will occur) when the time comes.

Once you received the part did the repair go well? Your description of the work is what I hope to use to repair my chair! If there are any pictures of the "after" please update us. Thanks!

kland1

Dec 1, 2020
Hello Orange, I am putting a video together for youtube liked to this forum. I had partial luck, the chair is not behaving better but with the new thermal fuse I hear all the relays clicking but the motors are not running. According to a previous poster, the toroidal transformer is responsible for the large power parts so I'm going to have to reopen the part and try a jumper again and start from there. I'm hoping I just got one new bad part and the 2nd one will work.

OrangeFJ

Dec 10, 2020
Once you received the part did the repair go well? Your description of the work is what I hope to use to repair my chair! If there are any pictures of the "after" please update us. Thanks!

Hi, Following your suggested repair method ( even before your new video) the King Kong 5560 Air Massage Chair is working once again!! The clue for this repair was finding mention of the symptom being "only vibrate feature is working". The fuse was purchased on Amazon along with extras for less than $10.00. What looks like a small burn mark turned out to be the melted fuse once all the plastic is unwrapped. Thank you for your explanation and I will look at the video to see what I could have done differently.

Shredder

Aug 3, 2020
Chair worked perfectly but the owner (not me) didn’t know how to properly operate the unit so I told her to home it and then away it went. I also recommended she download an owners’ manual so she doesn’t overload the unit (which I’m assuming is what cooked the chintzy fuse in the first place). I also forgot to mention that the first thermal fuse I installed (of the two I bought) was a lemmon and thankfully I didn’t retape it up before doing the bench-test. Thus, you may have also installed a bum fuse. With all due respect, it’s not a big surprise with the abject crap components coming out of China. If you need any other info, just ask.

userbwt

Dec 12, 2020
Hello, I have fixed a few of these chairs and I know the problem that you are having. The problem is the Torodial step down transformer has blown the thermal fuse. It is a $2 fix, but is a bit difficult to get to. Look on the MCB and find the big round thing. The black and white wires are the power in. The fuse is soldered on to one of them. 115 degree C fuse bought on ebay. Solder a new one in and you're back in business. Be careful to not damage any of the wiring on the transformer. They can get very hot and cause a fire if misshandled. View attachment 33325 View attachment 33326 View attachment 33325 View attachment 33326
Thanks, this worked for me!

pochiu

Jan 19, 2021
In the process of fixing my chair. Figuring out which tools to use is a big part; at least screws are Phillips. Just need a short ~3" to remove the 3 screws on cover. 1/2" on the nuts for the torrid. Trace wires & cut tire wraps. Finally got the torrid removed - no sign of damage but BLK/WHT wires are open on DMM, YEL & BLU pairs show few ohms. Next to find fuse & replace.

Dave the viking

May 5, 2021
I have a king kong message chair 5559b it says on remote message part reset if anyone knows anything about what this means I would great appreciate if you could help me fix this

Wingpoon

May 24, 2021
View attachment 48987 Hi all: I am in the process of doing this same repair. It should be noted that removal of the board is imperative to properly servicing the transformer unless you like grappling around under the chair to remove the wire ties, retaining nut and transformer lead connectors to remove the transformer. The connectors come off with little tabs that must be raised while pulling them apart; similarly with the motor connections on back of the board. There is also 4 screws holding board to bottom of chair chassis-I found that pulling the pin off the recliner arm servo underneath permitted the chair back to be moved forward to access board cover and mounting screws. I would also suggest that one buy the barrel-type thermal cutoff as it is rated for 10 amps while the flat type only 2 or 3. This may make a big difference on warmer days or heavy chair usage. I also plan to drill some holes in the side of the board cover to allow some heat to escape from the transformer. I would suggest only the sides because dust or other debris may be able to fall in from above. I also had to undo one secondary winding and unravel it a few times to create enough room to get at the remains of the fuse. This must go back just like it was. Heat shrink around the winding solder joints should prevent any shorts after retaping it up. I am also going to bench-test the tranny before re-installing. Apparently my replacement parts (I bought 2 round ones from guy in the link above) are already in the country so I'm just waiting for them to arrive. I will try to post some pics and commentary of re-assembly (minus the cursing and expletives I'm sure will occur) when the time comes.

Was your repair successful? TKeepers said to avoid damaging any of the wires and because you cut the outter wire wrap to access the fuse, I was wondering if your repair was successful. thanks

Shredder

Aug 3, 2020
Yes, it worked perfectly. I found that I had to turn the on/off switch on back of chair off and on again once. This allowed a reboot and then the chair was homed manually from the remote. I have not heard baxk from the owner so it must be working great.

Shredder

Aug 3, 2020
The outer wrap is just that: wrap to cover the windings. They unravel just like unsticky tape. The hard (or tedious) part is rewinding irt around the trans again.

Wingpoon

May 24, 2021
I finished replacing the thermal fuse, and tried placing the fixed toridial transformer back in massage chair. However, I get same error message. I have tried switching the power supply off and on to reboot chair. Any Ideas about what is wrong? And how do you home the chair manual through remote? Thanks for any help you can provide, this project has been a real headache.

Shredder

Aug 3, 2020
I don’t think I can help you any more…did you test the transformer before re-installing for continuity in the primary winding? Did you reinstall with the connections connected correctly? One of the buttons on the remote homes all the axis, I do not have one here to look at either. Your error means you made a mistake and the trans is still non-functional, or you reconnected it wrong.

Wingpoon

May 24, 2021
I got it working! I should have double-checked the transformer was working before installing. With a multimeter I was able to figure out the fuse I had bought and installed wasn't working (no continuity). Luckily I bought two and tried again with the second fuse. Chair works wonders now! Thanks for your help shredder!

Zdenek668

Nov 29, 2021
I’ve taken my model 5562 chair completely apart and there’s no “giant” toroidal transformer to be found anywhere! For some reason I can’t upload a picture but the only “giant” transformer is a standard “square” one mounted to the bottom of the chair’s frame between the air pump and a circuit board. So it would appear that I have a different model chair than what’s being discussed here but any help would greatly appreciate as my wife has given me an ultimatum to either fix it by the end of the week or it’s going to be trashed. ;^(