Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making two first circuits

alaios

Dec 5, 2013
Dear all,
I am very very new to this world. I am currently trying to implement a small project.

-I would like to have some help with relay circuits. I have a 3 Vdc current that I want to use to open/close a 12volt circuit that gives energy to a electrical pump. I have tried on internet to buy that ready but I have failed finding out one(i have searched on farnell web site). I do not understand the parts I will have to look for.

-The second think is that I would like to learn how I can downgrade the voltage I get from a source. How I can convert a 6voltage for example to a 4voltage? How the circuit would look like and how each component would be called so to proceed and order them?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
A

alaios

Dec 5, 2013
Hi I appreciate your immediate response.

If I understand it right, the manufacturer to give you flexibility
they made relays that can be controlled with 3 volts and support a range of voltages for the circuit they control.

So for example this one here.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/612075.pdf
is bothering me with the terminology.

There are two Voltages I want to differentiate. The first one is the voltage I have to apply to activate or deactivate the second circuit (that I want to be 3 volts) and the second one should be the voltage the controlled circuit needs (in my case a 12 volt air pump).

Now back to the pdf I just gave the link:

see on page 1 the table at the bottom.... I can not really map what I described above in the table there.

Could you please help me reduce this gap?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
Alex

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Yes the manufacturer give you the flexibility

For your example, and for any relay, you have 2 data set:

-The coil data, here a small DC voltage needed to drive the coil

=your " voltage I have to apply to activate or deactivate the second circuit"

-The contact data ,an higher AC/DC voltage and higher current (comparable to a switch specs)

=your " voltage the controlled circuit needs"

Hope that the gap is reduced now!

Olivier

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The relay contacts will need to have a specification exceeding 12V and exceeding the current that the pump draws.

alaios

Dec 5, 2013
Hi and thanks all for the answers. I will read all the answers carefully later and I will come with feedback :)

Alex