Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Light dimmer switch

Conehead

Jan 23, 2010
My light dimmer switch has a TIC 8849 inside. I cannot seem to get any information on the web concerning this device. It's an old dimmer, prehaps from the mid seventies, but I feel there must be a replacement device out there somewhere. Can anybody help ? Many thanks.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
TIC would be the first three letters in the type number, but the last 4 digits seems to be a date code (made in week 49 of 1988).
Something (three digits) is missing, but I figure you can use just about any triac in that application.

jerryg50

Apr 18, 2010
Service Dimmer Switch

My light dimmer switch has a TIC 8849 inside. I cannot seem to get any information on the web concerning this device. It's an old dimmer, prehaps from the mid seventies, but I feel there must be a replacement device out there somewhere. Can anybody help ? Many thanks.

This sounds like a proprietary part number for the dimmer manufacture. Light dimmers are very cheap these days. You'd be best off going to the hardware store and getting a new dimmer switch.

The main dimmer output device is a thyristor device. They have particular specs to match the circuit design. In a simple dimmer unit this device is driven with a dual switching diode also known as a diac. Driving this is a phase circuit using some caps, resistors, and a variable resistor for controlling the phase of the AC to the gate of the thyristor.

Many of the new dimmer switches made today are using IC technology. Some of them have pre-set controls, and or timer controls using a uPC device.

If you were to service the dimmer you must also verify if the other support components are working properly.

Jerry G. ;)