Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED dimmer help

Mattinvic

Apr 25, 2024
Hello
I am new to this forum and am hoping to find some help. I want to make a dimmer that can control 1000-1500 watts (actual watts not LED equivalent) of led lighting. This is for light strands that have one bulb every foot that use 1 watt per bulb. These strands are about 100feet long and I control enough strands on the circuit that it adds up in wattage to be higher than most store bought led dimmers offer. I know I can run multiple dimmers to make this work but I really want to make one that can handle the entire load on one dimmer unit. This runs on 120 volt. Any help would be great.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
A typical LED strand can't be dimmed from the mains side (120 V) unless explicitly stated in the specs.
Dimming with LEds is usually done via pulse width modulation (PWM) on the low voltage side by the LED controller.
Tell us more about your project:
  • which LED bulbs do you use?
  • 120 V types?
  • Dimmable?
  • or low voltage LEDs with an LED controller?

If controlled on the mains side: >= 1500W aren't that hard to get. Here's an example for a 2000 VA (aka Watt on a resistive load) dimmer for 120 V. I can easily find more wit a simple G...e search.

If controlled on the low voltage side, it becomes a tad more special, but here's an example for a low voltage LED controller for 1500 W.

If you want a more prefessional solution, look for DMX LED controllers (link in German, sorry, no Englisch version of this page)

Mattinvic

Apr 25, 2024
They are E17 led dimmable bulbs, 120v. I cannot control these on the low voltage side. I have used led dimmer switches like the ones you would get at your local big box store and they dim well with those switches. The problem is that these switches are limited in the wattage they can handle.
thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The first link in my post #2 goes to a 2000 VA dimmer. That's 500 VA more than you need.