Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Learning remote circuit?

lynkynpark86

Oct 22, 2011
Anyone who doesn't know how a "learning remote" works, it's a universal remote control designed to work with any remote, even ones without codes. You hold the original to the learning remote, and the learning remote 'reads' the signal and copies it. Does anyone know how I could make this and how easy/difficult it would be? I'm not an expert with electronics (my only circuit so far is an led, resistor, and switch to make a desk lamp), but I understand schematics for the most part, and I can solder. If it's simple, can you provide schematics, and if not, could you explain where I might want to go to learn?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Let me relate a similar tale...

Anyone who doesn't know how an "autopilot" works, it's an aircraft control designed to maintain heading, altitude, and/or flight path, even ones without pilot input. You have the flight plan, and the autopilot is told the information and stores it. Does anyone know how I could make this and how easy/difficult it would be? I'm not an expert with aviation (my only experience so far is sitting in row 34F), but I understand wheels for the most part, and I can do up a seat belt. If it's simple, can you provide schematics, and if not, could you explain where I might want to go to learn?

Practically speaking, you have a very long road ahead to get to the point where you could make one of these. Perhaps there are kits for them, but again (practically speaking) it would probably be faster, cheaper, etc., to simply buy one already made.

lynkynpark86

Oct 22, 2011
Let me relate a similar tale...

Anyone who doesn't know how an "autopilot" works, it's an aircraft control designed to maintain heading, altitude, and/or flight path, even ones without pilot input. You have the flight plan, and the autopilot is told the information and stores it. Does anyone know how I could make this and how easy/difficult it would be? I'm not an expert with aviation (my only experience so far is sitting in row 34F), but I understand wheels for the most part, and I can do up a seat belt. If it's simple, can you provide schematics, and if not, could you explain where I might want to go to learn?

Practically speaking, you have a very long road ahead to get to the point where you could make one of these. Perhaps there are kits for them, but again (practically speaking) it would probably be faster, cheaper, etc., to simply buy one already made.

I didn't know an IR light and small chip was such a project. Can you recommend a school I could get my doctorate in technology at, and hopefully learn which pin I need to solder the IR light to in the process?
And by the way, thanks for the lack of sarcasm.

DrPinky

Nov 7, 2011
I can not give you the specifics on such a device but your first step (in a nut shell) is to,

(1) Learn basic circuits (go to a book store there are many good beginners books available)

(2) Learn about micro-controllers (you will need to program it yourself which is a huge project)

(3) Learn to program ( C# is probably a good starting point but it will depend on your
needs)

(4) Get really good at math

I have only covered the very very very basics of what you will need. If you just want to slap this together then this is probably not a feasible project. You will need to be vary committed to Learning and have a lot of time on your hands if you want to make this remote yourself.

Hope this helps
Dr. Pinky

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I didn't know an IR light and small chip was such a project. Can you recommend a school I could get my doctorate in technology at, and hopefully learn which pin I need to solder the IR light to in the process?
And by the way, thanks for the lack of sarcasm.
If it was a matter of soldering an LED and a chip together and voila, it works, then you would be right. But I don't think that is the case. I doubt that there is a "learning remote" IC that works this way. As already stated, a learning remote would almost certainly use a microcontroller with a custom program. You might find a public domain program for such a device using some popular microcontroller, but even then, you will need to be able to wire up a microcontroller and program it.

What is your purpose in taking on this project? That would determine how you ought to proceed. If you want to learn everything necessary to design and build this, great! You would be taking on a very rewarding (and frustrating) endeavor. But if your purpose is to acquire a learning remote cheaper than you could buy one, forget it. The programmmer alone would already cost you more than a learning remote you could buy a WalMart.

Bob