Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Just about an electronics question

QuantumCheese

Apr 27, 2012
Please bear with me I know thins is going to sound like an IT question, but it is fundamentally an electronic one really.

OK. ADSL microfilters.
I know this much, it's in essence a low pass/high pass filter IRO 4khz.
<4Khz goes to the phone side, >4Khz goes to the modem side.

The question is this. Do you actually need one at all if the phone line being is used is dedicated specifically for broadband. ie. there are NO Phones/other analogue devices attached to it, just the modem?
(as far as i'm aware it is a standard voice/adsl line but used for data only, i don't believe you can buy a data only line in the UK though i may be wrong)

All i can find are articles stating the obvious about needing them for every (analogue) device connected, no where could i find anything about not needing one if your using the line for data only.

I think based on it's function it's not required in this case, I was wondering what you guys thought?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No. If it's used for ADSL only, you don't need one.

QuantumCheese

Apr 27, 2012
No. If it's used for ADSL only, you don't need one.

Thanks, that's my feeling too. I just have a little niggle at the back of my mind saying...
what if, as it has analogue albeit not used, it will have a number. and what if someone tries to call into that number. even with nothing attached to ring, could it interfere with the dsl briefly?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My best advice is to try it both with and without a filter, and do a speed test.

Then repeat while dialling your number.

If the line is used for ADSL only (called "Naked ADSL" here) a filter is not required.