Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with wiring

Nexxus

Jun 29, 2015
Okay hello everyone, I need help wiring something. I have a pair of turtle beach x11's (for those of you who don't know they are a gaming headset) well I decided I wanted to use them as portable headphones. So took them apart and unsolered the wired from the speaker, and simply soldered an aux to the speaker and voila ! They work perfectly. However I decided I still wanted to use them with my Xbox, so I'm trying to wire a 3.5 millimeter female jack to the end that plugs to my Xbox, and I can't seem to wire it correctly for the life of me. I can't get any sound to come through. I know I'm connecting the right wires, I have no clue why sound Isn't going through. Please help

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I can't seem to wire it correctly for the life of me. I can't get any sound to come through. I know I'm connecting the right wires,
That's a contradiction: Either the wires are connected corrrectly, then you should hear sound, or you don't hear sound, then the wires aren't connected correctly.
Show us a circuit diagram how your connections are made. Is the AUX connection still in place when you're trying to use the 3.5mmm jack? Do the speakers work from the 3.5mm jack when you remove the AUX completely?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Odds are, something is wired incorrectly for one device or the other.
My initial thought is whether or not you wired your new jack correctly.
Is it a mono or stereo jack, and do you realize they're designed to disconnect one speaker circuit, when you insert the plug into the jack, and re-route the speaker signal into the plug's speaker circuit?
Maybe you're just not understanding how the new jack is supposed to be wired.

Nexxus

Jun 29, 2015
Never mind! I got it! When I was connecting the female jack and the end of the wires together, I was just twisting the grounds together and the left speaker wires together. For whatever reason when doing so they weren't making a good connection. So I twisted them together than dipped them in solder and it worked, I'm so happy now :)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Never mind! I got it! When I was connecting the female jack and the end of the wires together, I was just twisting the grounds together and the left speaker wires together. For whatever reason when doing so they weren't making a good connection. So I twisted them together than dipped them in solder and it worked, I'm so happy now :)
... They are powered gaming headphones ... You would have had better luck just putting in a switch in the in-line amplifier to bypass the amp when you want to use them as headphones on a phone or iPod.
Word of warning... Tying two outputs together is a bad idea... I would highly suggest you do NOT plug it into the TV and Xbox controller at the same time.
Do you still have the in-line amplifier? You could solder a TRRS female socket on the in-line amp, and a TRRS male on the headphones. This would let you plug the headphones back into the amp to restore stock functionality so you can use them as gaming headphones again.